Tank failing Visual, shop condemned the tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen places where a notice is written near the cash register etc in plain view like Return Policies. Do you have a receipt is there anything written on that? Would have to say I don’t think permanent marker (which can be removed without a lot of effort) is not the destruction of a tank, unlike drilling holes, cutting it in half or xxxxs. Why someone would consider suing over marker that can be removed is a sad testament to how litigious some of our society has become. Everyone craps on lawyers, but jumps on the law suit bandwagon. Maybe you can sue to have them remove the marker that may have been put on the give a big heads up to the owner or next op the tank goes too.

That is correct. But, having an open mind, I am most willing to alter my behavior.

-Proof that it is illegal for me to condemn a tank/cylinder?

Define what you mean by “condemning a cylinder”.

Pass -gets stickered
Reject -needs some form of intervention before it is likely to pass (tumbling etc)
Condemn -permanently remove from service

In the USA, anyone can sue anyone else for any reason whatsoever. And they do. So it all reverts to precedence or established law. Heads turn in a courtroom when someone utters the word "opinion". Thus I have no opinion. I follow established guidelines.

Note that I only clean and inspect my own tanks. I persist in this thread as I believe that it speaks to the heart of the OP's complaint.

That is correct. But, having an open mind, I am most willing to alter my behavior.

I apologize If I sound overbearing. My intent was to point out that as long as there are many opinions there are equally agencies that will take up each of these views. because of the difference in interpretations one has to have the access to alternate opinions on a tank condition. As far as I am concerned we are good and have shared opinions. BTW I dont agree with evrything PSI says but like you If I inspect under an agencies name I have to follow their standards.

Pass -gets stickered
Reject -needs some form of intervention before it is likely to pass (tumbling etc)

In the USA, anyone can sue anyone else for any reason whatsoever. And they do. So it all reverts to precedence or established law. Heads turn in a courtroom when someone utters the word "opinion". Thus I have no opinion. I follow established guidelines.

Note that I only clean and inspect my own tanks. I persist in this thread as I believe that it speaks to the heart of the OP's complaint.
I agree totally.

I apologize If I sound overbearing.
Not at all, no need. We are good.

My intent was to point out that as long as there are many opinions there are equally agencies that will take up each of these views.
Agree completely.

but like you If I inspect under an agencies name I have to follow their standards.
Yep and you get their sticker or risk losing your tank (or not, depending).

So, bottom line:

Is it the inspector's ethical responsibility to inform the owner of all possibilities before surrendering the tank for inspection? I assume that it is.

"Ethical Responsibility. Definition: Ethical responsibility is the ability to recognize, interpret and act upon multiple principles and values according to the standards within a given field and/or context."

I stole that from somewhere on the net. I could probably find the source if you call me on it. <wink>

Pass -gets stickered

condemn is a status ,,,,,,,,,, removal form service is an action done to a condemned tank.

.....but like you If I inspect under an agencies name I have to follow their standards.

That right there is why I believe that responsible tank owners should look for themselves inside their tanks.

A basic tank light is not very expensive, you can actually improvise one with a rope light, we have the long metal bars to check for pitting. If there's any deterioration I want to catch it as soon as possible, and definitely don't want to rely on the guy doing the VIP at the shop because who knows.

I'm digressing for the subject, but not by much. The less knowledgeable a diver is, the more BS the shops come up with.

Only an authorized hydrotester can "condemn" a cylinder by XXXXing out the markings without permission of the owner. They are specifically authorized to do this. Permission is granted when your cylinder is given to them for requalification.

You can XXXXX them out too. It is not "illegal" under the CFRs for someone to do so. (You can drill holes in the tank or smash the threads too). But you are responsible for damaging someone else's property while the hydrotester would not be (for the XXXs, they would be for drilling holes or smashing threads).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom