Tank Holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've seen all sorts of plans for tank holders that will keep the tanks from rolling around during normal driving, but I'm looking for something that will keep the tanks from flying up out of the back of my small SUV and killing me and all the passengers in case of an accident.

I was thinking of possibly somthing made from seatbelt webbing that I could sneak out through the tailgate and connect to the trailer hitch.

Has anybody seen anything like this, or have any ideas?

I've seen different ways to strap the tanks down in a couple different SUVs.

One was to bungee the tanks standing up to the back of the back seats. That was SUVs that have a place to hook the bungee molded into the plastic. Could possible be done with the head rest too.

In the Ford Escape there are metal tie down loops in the floor of the storage area. They are hidden under the carpet but pull up easily through the factory made slits in the carpet. With these you can strap the tanks laying down.

Paula

I got a 4' x 4' piece of 3/4" russian ply birch. Cut two pieces that would fit four tanks lying on their side together, then cut some rectangular pieces to meet the span.

The really important part is that you should have anchor bolts in the back of your truck. If not, install some. Get a truck strap and fastyen those mothers down.

Tanks in the back of an suv will cut you in half or turn you to paste in an accident even as slow as 50mph.

well this is not a plans idea but I used to work a a gas company we serviced allot of machince shops etc.... anyway they sold a braket to hold tanks in a upright postion in a pickup or van. basicly they where metal brackets that bolted (or welded) to truck then had a round metal space the tank sits in then had a metal rounded (shaped) band that closed the front and lock in place.

Also what I had in my old house garage was some bolts in the concreate wall then I placed a light chain around each tank and back to a bolt where I place a nut to hold the chain this keep them in a upright postion and could not fall over

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom