Tank hydro,vis,tumble & valve service?:confused:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok no e diver here but on a past service a hydro,vis and valve service? cost about a $110, ya it's a steel on a 5 year round and yes I know you cant get air fill's over the Internet.
I can get hydro's local thru my local welding supply shop or the fire equipment service company from $15.00 - $19.00 and pal has a great tumbler and tumbling material from MCmaster Carr supply,simple green dose the o-2 clean and a drying rinse stand.

What gets me is my LDS said I needed to have a valve rebuild REQUIRED! I find out it's not required as in no DOT rule, it is a manufactures suggestion only,The valve is a main line valve in great shape and a visual look over is all it needed and I would gladly pay for a disassembly reassembly and hell even a fresh burts disc.

And to all the folks that dont know a visual on any tank in hydro is not required and just a money making tool for PSI /PCI,tank inspectors and the LDS
PSI / PCI
IT IS JUST A RECOMEDATION and I am ok with this cost !!!!!!!!!! it may of saved many lives,,,
There are no DOT regulations relevant to the personal use or
transportation of pressurized canisters in a personal vehicle. DOT
regulations are relevant only to the commercial use and transport,,
but I think personally it is a great thing to do yearly to make sure all is good in the thing your breathing life supporting gas.
I fully support my LDS by spending lots of money yearly,no e-buying at all.
I can not get air fills on line I KNOW THAT! so that said re on and lets get the hot dogs out!

Ok this is a article to start the fire,

First, let’s start off with some of the rules and regulations regarding the inspection of scuba cylinders. By Unites States law, all compressed gas cylinders, including scuba, must be visually inspected at the time of hydrostatic testing. Hydrostatic testing is required every 5 years. So, by law, scuba cylinders must be visually inspected every 5 years. The scuba industry has adopted a recommendation by the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) that the cylinders should be visually inspected annually. By following this recommendation, the number of failures in scuba tanks has been greatly reduced. So, scuba cylinders do not need to be visually inspected annually. However, the annual inspection is a good thing and the practice should be continued.

The argument is that if the scuba cylinder’s pressure drops below 500 psi, then potentially, water or hydrocarbons can enter the cylinder. Ever watch Mythbusters? Many times when they need to propel something, the use air pressure. This air pressure is relatively small, less than 100 psi. Now, if less than 100 psi can propel a small object at hundreds of feet per second, do you really thing that water or dust can enter a scuba cylinder? Not really. Should we be concerned about water entering our scuba cylinders, yes. Especially if we use steel cylinders. That water can cause rust and possibly contaminate our O2 clean cylinders.

If you have taken a gas blending or Nitrox course, you should know how Nitrox is made. One of the most popular methods of blending Nitrox is called partial pressure (PP) blending. With PP blending, the blender first adds pure oxygen in the cylinder, then tops off with air. But in most instances, the scuba cylinder must be drained to empty in order to get the most accurate blend. So if a dive shop that has the policy of requiring a VIP every time your tank goes below 500 psi and they PP blend Nitrox, does that mean they are doing a VIP, and charging your for it, every time you get a Nitrox fill? That’s a very expensive Nitrox fill.

The truth is, that you do not need a VIP if you scuba cylinder falls below 500 psi. If it does so mysteriously, then it does need to be inspected. If you breath it down to empty underwater, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked just out to be safe. But you shouldn't have to pay for a VIP if the tank is at 300 psi. This is just another way for a dive store to unnecessary charge their customers. In this tough economy, the more money in your pocket, the better. That $15 for the mandatory VIP could be a couple more air fills so you can go dive again. Ask the person behind the counter why they have that policy. Ask them to prove their arguments. But most of all, be an educated consumer,
Credit to for article,
Duane Johnson
Precision Diving

Ok this is a article to start the fire,

:rofl3:

Ask the person behind the counter why they have that policy. Ask them to prove their arguments.

What would you do if I said, Dwayne I require it because I feel better, it is recommended by my peers, and while I agree there is no federal law requiring it, It gives me a chance to prevent things like bad o-rings which I include in the service, dropped dip tubs, and unknow cracks from ruining a wonderful day of diving. What would you like me to prove?

By the way Hydro, vip, and fill is only 40 bucks here.

The argument is that if the scuba cylinder’s pressure drops below 500 psi, then potentially, water or hydrocarbons can enter the cylinder.
Never heard that. 0 psi yes.
1 psi - well, maybe, if I move my cylinder from high elevation to lower elevation, or if a really high pressure weather system moves in, but...
Certainly not 500. If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear the mechanism.

Never heard that. 0 psi yes.
1 psi - well, maybe, if I move my cylinder from high elevation to lower elevation, or if a really high pressure weather system moves in, but...
Certainly not 500. If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear the mechanism.

Deplete a cylinder at 99 feet charging lift bags and close the valve. You'd come up with ~45 PSI and who knows what entered the cylinder if it had equalized.

I agree 500 is a harsh cut-off and the truth is somewhere in between.

Case by case handing is probably the best deal. Unfortunately not every shop person will be a knowledgeable decision maker. Hence these harsh cut and dried rules.

Besides, anyone can get a trans-fill whip and bring bring cylinders up past the threshold of suspicion.

Pete

Deplete a cylinder at 99 feet charging lift bags and close the valve. You'd come up with ~45 PSI and who knows what entered the cylinder if it had equalized.
Thank you. Good point. At the surface you could show a significant gauge pressure, but prior history might have included a situation in which cylinder pressure did not stay above ambient.

As long as the cylinder pressure stayed above ambient, even by a little, wouldn't the nasties stay outside?

I am not sure what shop you take your tanks to but around here they do not require a VIP unless the tank has been completely emptied other than a yearly. I have had my tanks below 500psi many times and never had an issue. As for your PP blending method, that seems like someone is screwing their customers. There are equations for getting accurate mixes with air left in the tank. I would never pay a shop for a VIP because they needed to drain it to PP blend nitrox.

As long as the cylinder pressure stayed above ambient, even by a little, wouldn't the nasties stay outside?

Barring some really weird flow dynamics yes.

Looking for feedback on mandatory valve rebuilding by dive shops as being required at time of hydro,
This is not a mandatory practice just a manufactures suggestion,,,,
any shop owners your practices or comments?

Personally I don't see a problem with doing a valve rebuild every 5 years when the tank is hydroed.
This is, after all, your life support.
I rebuild my valves every other year but I put a lot of dives on my tanks each year.

As to your other points, if you have your own compressor you can do as you wish. If I have to fill a tank for you I'm am going to err on the side of being extremely conservative. Likely you won't be there when your tank has a chance to ruin my day.

Most places I've worked at used the 500psi as a scare tactic to get the divers to pay closer attention to gauges. Back onboard in an hour or with at least 500psi. No min. pressure rule and it is surprising how many trips you have at least one diver come up with no air left. Charge $15 to VIP an empty tank and now they ALL come back with something left in the tank. These are usually the same people that dunk the reg. in the rinse tank with the dust cap off. Big sign over the rinse tank says to make sure dust cap is in place before you rinse, still every week at least one person can't read. Add a $25 reg. rebuild fee and now they ALL check before they dunk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom