Tank Neck Damage... condemn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

links are working now. that particular pit is way outside of the load bearing threads so itself wouldn't be cause to condemn the tank. But, as others have noted, if it's that bad there, there's really good reason to look very close at the rest of the tank because in general, from what I can see in the photos, that tank has had a pretty hard go of things. I still stand on getting it to a hydro shop - if they condemn it, they don't charge you (at least the shop I deal with).

I agree- send tank for hydro and if they don't condemn tank- I would pass vis. inspection but only I look at everything else in tank- checking for any bows, internal or external pitting or cracks in treads

you all realize that the tank is supposed to be viped BEFORE it goes to hydro right ?

And it gets VIPd at hydro. They are suggesting passing the buck to the professionals. I can’t argue with that.

you all realize that the tank is supposed to be viped BEFORE it goes to hydro right ?

why waste the time? I'd much rather do it after hydro when I have to O2 clean the thing. The hydro guys have a VIP check they have to do prior to hydro and it has the exact same stuff on it that we do...

Yeah, there's a whole thread about whether it's necessary to do a VIP after a hydro. Shops generally charge you for one. It's a way to make revenue, which I can't feel too bad about in this market.

I prefer to look at it AFTER hydro to see if it needs tumbling/cleaning etc...

Yeah, there's a whole thread about whether it's necessary to do a VIP after a hydro. Shops generally charge you for one. It's a way to make revenue, which I can't feel too bad about in this market.

So you are suggesting that dive shops put a VCI sticker on it after hydro without actually doing the VCI?

I don't know what the shops do. Essentially the hydro includes a VIP. Shops tend to hit the customer up for a VIP+hydro charge, at least my shops have. I don't know what the 'standard' is for the rest of the country.

The area in question is part of the crown of the cylinder. The crown includes the shoulder and neck area.

From: https://www.luxfercylinders.com/img/rm_img/blog_img/455/attachments/1/scubaguide.pdf

4 EXTERIOR
4A BULGES, BOW AND DENTS
Check crown for dents.
CONDEMN all cylinders with dents 0.060 inch (1.53 mm) or greater in depth.

4B CUTS, GOUGES, SCRATCHES
CONDEMN all cylinders with surface cuts, digs or gouges in the metal that are either longer than six inches (152mm), or deeper than 0.030 inch (0.76 mm).

From a technical point of view the area in question whether one wants to call it a dent or gouge, it meets the above criteria as it appears to be more than 0.060 inch in depth and thus should be condemned. The issue though is the area is question has no structural loading and there is enough material to keep the o-ring in place so not to become extruded. Though the other areas do not look so good and would be my next focus.

From Luxfer's inspection criteria:
Your pit does not appear to meet this criteria. I think I'd pass it.

Frank you are looking at section 4C the issue is not corrosion but dents and/or gouges. That said it would still fail it a pit.

CONDEMN all cylinders with one or more external corrosion pits over 0.060 inch (1.53 mm) deep in the sidewall, crown, and/or base.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom