Tank Neck Damage... condemn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looked like a corrosion pit to me. I did not see a specification for corrosion pits in the neck on the outside. Is the neck considered part of the crown? Maybe they aren't considered. So IMO, there is no spec to condemn this cylinder. Good marine practice and common social sense would dictate that the neck is weakened by the pit, so there is no reason (at $150 new and $100 used) to take a risk.

If it's financially challenging for one to scrap a tank in that condition, it's a sign to consider taking up a more affordable hobby.

Frank, read the definition of the crown:
crown: The dome-shaped top portion of the cylinder which includes the distance between the top facing down to where the sidewall begins. The aluminum in this area is thicker than in the sidewall. See FIGURE 5.

The text "top facing down" means looking down from the top. However, Figure 5 is unambiguous and includes both the shoulder and neck on the exterior.

I would call the area in question with the missing chunk a dig. As such, section 4B would apply which applies to all parts of the exterior:

4B CUTS, GOUGES, SCRATCHES
Check for cuts, digs, gouges and scratches. (See APPENDIX G for definitions. See PHOTOS 2 and 3.)

Measure the length, depth and location of all cylinder surface cuts, digs, gouges or scratches.

CONDEMN all cylinders with surface cuts, digs or gouges in the metal that are either longer than six inches (152mm), or deeper than 0.030 inch (0.76 mm).

Look at Photo 3 which in many ways is similar - a chunk of metal is missing but at the base.

Where are you getting your information from please?

I just got off the phone with Nicole Dinkins at Luxfer. The purpose of the call was to get some confirmation on my assumptions and guidance. I pointed her to this thread and she review the images.

Who is Nicole Dinkins and what is her title with Luxfer? Is she reachable directly or is there a "tech. Support" number/email for Luxfer one can reach when has a technical question?

Where are you getting your information from please?

https://www.luxfercylinders.com/img/rm_img/blog_img/455/attachments/1/scubaguide.pdf

Who is Nicole Dinkins and what is her title with Luxfer? Is she reachable directly or is there a "tech. Support" number/email for Luxfer one can reach when has a technical question?

I called Luxfer directly and said I needed some technical support on a cylinder inspection. I am not sure of her title but she noted she too had been trained via PSI-PCI.

Luxfer Support

Last edited:
I had a 6351 I used in rental that one diver came to me and said "Do you hear that?" Well, I can't hear a police siren from 30 feet away, so I put soap spray on the cylinder. His buddy had noticed it fizzing from the crown and mentioned it to him. It had a crack in the crown that wasn't apparent in the neck. We'd been filling it on the open deck of a 34 passenger dive boat. I pooped a little. I got rid of all of my 6351's the next day. So they don't all blow up. But even if they don't, you'll poop a little.
I had a shop owner tell me once about how she noticed a sticker moving as she filled a tank with a recent hydro. Yeah, it was cracked. Everyone got to wait outside for a few minutes until it fully depressurized. Then she got in an argument with the diver about why she wouldn't fill his tank....

I had a shop owner tell me once about how she noticed a sticker moving as she filled a tank with a recent hydro. Yeah, it was cracked. Everyone got to wait outside for a few minutes until it fully depressurized. Then she got in an argument with the diver about why she wouldn't fill his tank....

Did he at least bring his own roll of duct tape to fix it with?

While we are giving out free VIPs...

What about this one?

There is a nick on the inside corner at the top.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Hey. That's not a tool stop mark. I can even see it at the top of the threads. Were they leaking?

Tank was almost empty when he gave it to me. Nine cracked threads, and probably more, plus shoulder crack. That guy has nine lives, as I quickly told him.
I'm going to make one of those lamp thingies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom