Tank oring blew...on surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few thoughts...

The inner o-ring on a DIN or yoke retainer can get pinched during assembly - but it feels distinctly different to the tech torquing it as the fitting tims up much slower and mushier - indicating the o-ring is probably pinched/improperly seated.

Failing that, a newly serviced reg should be wet checked, or at least tested to ensure it will hold pressure after the reg is pressurized and the valve is turned off. I that regard it is a failure on the part of the reg repair technician. One possible partial qualifier here is that in some regs, that particular o-ring is not an annual service repalcement part as it is a static o-ring, and the o-ring can get quite old and can pressure test well but fail shortly there after. The Scubapro Mk 5 is one of the more egregious offenders there and a prudent tech will replace all the non-annual service o-rings if he or she does not know the service history of the reg.

However, it's also important to realize that you can give your self more control over the process by performing the same check by connecting the reg to a tank, pressurizing it, breathing a couple breaths then shutting off the valve and observing the SPG for 3-5 minutes to ensure the needle is rock solid. That will identify leaks in the first or second stage, and it will let you confirm that the reg breathes the way you expect it to breathe. Good shops will have a tank by the counter for you to use and will encouirage you to use it. It would suggest a shop is a very poor choice as a place to spend your money if they object to you testing the reg or refuse to provide a tank to allow you to check it.

-----

When properly designed and assembled both DIN and yoke attachments create metal to metal contact all the way around an o-ring. However, there are a couple critical differences.

DIN o-rings, since they are located on the first stage inlet fitting, will generally be retained if the fitting comes loose. Consequently when that happens, you shut off the valve, re-tighten the DIN wheel and repressurize the reg and it is no big deal. Plus if the reg remains pressurized it is highly unlikely for the connection to loosen in the first place.

In contrast, a yoke o-ring is located in the valve and if the reg comes loose, the escaping gas usually extrudes the o-ring or blows it out completely, making it almost impossible to quickly re-seat or replace underwater.

A further difference is that a yoke can stretch under pressure, particularly lighter / thinner yokes when used on 3300-3442 psi tanks. More importantly if the outside air temp is cold, the yoke will contract, and then if you jump into warm water (something that is common in September and October) the yoke will expand slightly. In otherwords, the yoke can be tight when put on the vlave but the combination of expansion due to pressurization and heat can create just enough play to allow the o-ring to extrude.

Finally, the face of a yoke valve is a critical sealing surface, and nicks and dings in that surface can create the potential for o-ring extrusion.

Consequently, DIN valves are less problematic than yoke valves in terms of both the frequency and consequences of o-ring extrusion.

----

If the valve to first stage o-ring extrudes, the gas loss will look and sound a lot more impressive than it really is. Unless you already have a very low tank pressure, you will still have more than enough time for an ascent from any recreational depth within the NDL's. So signal your buddy and give him the thumb - the reason why will be obvious - and ascend normally. Your buddy shouidl stick close and be ready to hand off gas, but the odds are you will not need it, unless perhpas it is at the safety stop. You can monitor the decline in pressure on your SPG and that will give you a good idea of how close to empty you are getting and how long it will take to lose all your gas. If you are watching the SPG at your safety stop, you'll know when it's time to do the final 10-15 ft ascent and or to switch to your buddy's octo.

If you are doing decompression, pentreation diving, or solo diving as a solo certified diver, then you will be trained and configured to deal with a failure or gas loss scenario.

I had this happen to me on a shore dive. After a very long surface swim we got to where we wanted to be. Then just as we were about to go under, poof! The O-ring blows and we have to begin our swim again back to the shore to replace the o-ring. :) Glad it didn't happen at depth though because the air came out so quickly. Went from 2000 psi to 1500psi in no time

It's been my observation that first stage O-rings usually fail at about 5 minutes or less after the tank valve is opened. (again, only my observation).

I have blown two out below the surface. First time was at 40 ft about 4 minutes into the dive. Second time was at 90 ft about 4 minutes into the dive.

I was in the practice of keeping the valve shut and opening it just before jumping in (I was DMing at the time and would quickly put my gear on after everyone helping everyone off the boat and hop in and down we go). These were small boats with the gear sometimes laying on the deck, that's why I always kept my valve shut.

On the boat I have seen quite a few blow, usually less than five minutes after the person has put his first stage on and opened the valve. I am now in the habit of putting my first stage on and opening the valve and leaving it open at least 5 minutes before we arrive at the site. For the past few years I have been on big enough boats that it wasn't a worry as the tank was always strapped in upright.

One thing that gives me chills though is seeing someone putting their ear down next to the O-ring listening for a leak. I haven't seen it happen but if one blew with your ear an inch away from it I bet you would be wishing you hadn't stuck your ear down there.

I was on a boat where a woman changed the O-ring on her tank, replaced the reg and then turned it on while listening from about 2-3 inches away for an air leak. It blew right in her ear. I think she was extremely lucky that it didn't do serious damage to her hearing.

Kristopher

I've seen o-rings blow after/during long boat rides when a tank was left on for an extended length of time. All of those were without a diver attached. I saw one that blew at the surface of a shore dive when the diver was just about to descend, again after having left the valve on for an extended period of time. Most of the time, the air loss was rapid and by the time someone turned off the valve, there may have been too little air in the affected tank.

After seeing quite a few blown o-rings from keeping a tank on during long boat rides or for extended periods, I started turning off my valve and purging the line after setting up my tank. When I'm ready to put my rig on, I turn it on, take a slow breath while watching the pressure to ensure it doesn't fluctuate and then put on and finish checking my gear. I think it makes sense as long as it is part of your routine and you remember to turn it back on (and assuming that you can reach your valve and do the various checks and routines that will enable you to avoid jumping in without your air on).

I had a blowout at about60 ft, about 5 min into a dive. It sounded like a frieght train behind my head. I spun around and saw nothing but bubbles. My reg was breathing fine and after a second or two I realized what happened. I was near the DM and quickly got his attention. He gave me his octo and turned off my tank. Then he worked on calming me down. I knew I was fine, but couldn't stop breathing hard and fast. He rounded up the group and he and I went to the surface. I did a quick tank change and rejoined the group. I still don't know why it happened. The oring looked fine and there was no leaking while my rig was set up. All's well that ends well.

I've seen and experienced orings blow on the surface, but never at depth. I did not think it happened much as I've seen a boat load blow on the surface, like maybe 50-60. One good reason to stay close to your buddy, or dive a pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom