Tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Im gonna be leaving to go to DIT for commercial diving in 6 days im not bringing all my scuba gear with me.. im gonna be leaving my tank here. Wondering should i leave my tank with air in it or not???

A holding pressure of about 300 PSI is typical this wll save the tank from prolonged stress but prevent the entry of moisture.

Pete

Well this is what I was taught. Never store a full tank for extended periods and never completely empty a tank. Always leave about 300 psi in it. Being full stresses the tank and being empty lets moist ambient air enter the tank and corrode the inside.

Then later in life a Fireman told me if it's aluminum either store it completely full or completely empty. In a house fire a partially filled tank would build pressure as the tank strength weakens due to the heat and it will explode. A full tank will blow the burst disc before exploding and an empty one will melt.

Common sence told me that if a closed valve on a full tank will hold in 3000psi then a close valve will hold out 14.7psi on an empty tank. I store mine empty.

If it's already full, just leave it full. It's the fills that stress the tank, not the pressure in the tank. Leaving it full won't harm it.

Half filled aluminum tanks run the risk of not exceeding the burst disc pressure in a fire before they get soft at around 400 degrees and come apart. Personally, I'd store an AL tank with just a bit pf positive pressure in it 50 to 100 psi.

I would not worry about storing a steel tank full as it is not subject to sustained load cracking and storing it full is not going to cause any problems. Storing it empty on the other hand invites rust.

mine are usually full anyway.......
but you want something in there even if its just s few hundred. but leaving it full wont hurt anything....

always store a tank,ali or steel,with air in it.doesnt matter if it as a little or if it is full.any amount of air will stop any sort of corrosion.if it is for a long period that you are going to store it,the tank can be emtied and tested before you next use it.store it in a dry cool place out of sunlight then you dont run the risk of the tank getting hot and exploding

Only by having at least a small amount of positive pressure can you confirm that that it was not left open to to the atmosphere. In terms of rust the VIP inspection will tell all anyway.

Pete

Alright thanks for the reply's kinda mixed haha but ill leave it full. in my closet well im gone

icantdive55:
Common sence told me that if a closed valve on a full tank will hold in 3000psi then a close valve will hold out 14.7psi on an empty tank. I store mine empty.

If the pressure in your tank is "0" it will actually be the same as the atmosphere - that 14.7 psi you speak of. At that point, moisture could enter the tank, which is the point of leaving some pressure in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom