Tank recommendation for Atlantic dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might go there, not sure yet...I had an ear injury in August and haven't dived since then but the symptoms seem to be gone now.

Jonny_Rocket:
Don't know about 112, but 119 is what I'm renting this weekend... If you aren't busy you really should try to stop by and get a dive in...

Jonny,

I think I might be interested in going w/ the group if that's okay...but, along the same lines as this thread, if I go I would be diving air w/ an AL80 rental tank--I don't know what kind of diving the group is going to do but I don't want to cramp anyone's style.

Sure, come on out. Dive an AL 80! Nothing cramps my style... the more the merrier. If you have the time, why not meet me at Dutch Springs early Friday afternoon and follow me to NESS, (or we can take your car... Theresa's truck only sits two people) and we can get you set up with some 119s so you can see how you like them... They are 98cf size... Are you going to come out and camp?

Thanks! I cannot camp or come out Friday though--are you going to dive on Sat?

Jonny_Rocket:
We'll be there Friday night until Sunday on the peninsula side.
The ideal tank that's really popular is the PST E-8 series 119 cyl pressure 3442. These are a lot better than a HP 120 for a couple of reasons. First, it's a shorter fatter tank rather than tall & skinny, which means to you than it's easier to manuver around. Secondly, everything comes down to cu. ft. and if you were to have both tanks down @ 500psi, you would have a little more cu. ft. of gas left in the 119 over the HP120. The other nice tank that they make is the 130, its the same size as the OMS 109 but again with that 3442 psi rating. You definately want to look at what kind of air consumption you have and what kind of bottom times you want. the majority of people dive off of NJ with Nitrox & I personally like that my limiting factor is my NDL not Gas. Take your time, buy the right tank the first time around. Feel free to call the shop if you want more insight to this. With steel tanks the problem right now is getting them. I own The SCUBA Connection, we're not able to get them in until January.

Jonny--

thanks but if I go it will only be for the day--do you think if I showed up around on Sat morning I would be able to get in 2 dives w/ someone? Are you planning to dive early?

Dive Junkie--

thanks. I am taking the Nitrox course right now in fact, though. One thing though--I heard that a lot of shops won't fill the LP tanks to the full capacity, or can't fill them at all--is this true?

Forget about 112, 119, 121.
I am a divemaster that dives off of NJ and have been doing it for years. I would definatly go with a HP steel tank over an aluminum or LP tank. Safer design.
2nd. If you are over 5'10 and are sure you are only going to buy 2 tanks I would by a 120cft Will give you enough gas for dives up to 135 ft with deco.
If you think at all about getting doubles go with a hp 80 or 100 This will give you enough air and if you want to double up later on you can. The 120's are a little on the heavy side when you start to double them up.
Last....If you are going to dive the atlantic off of a charter boat YOU NEED A PONY BOTTLE> I would recomend spending the money and buy a 30cf bottle.
Good luck hope to see you on a dive.

Back
Top Bottom