Tank rentals/ air fills Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridanewbe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Please give me any recommendations on the best place to rent tanks and get fills in key West ( just air no mix ). I will be going on Saturday for a week.
Thanks Rich.

When are you heading down? This week or the following? What type of diving are you looking to do? Are you going to have a boat, or go with one of the LDS?

I would suggest Captains Corner for what you want. They are in the heart of Old Town, and Leslie is AWESOME! Just tell her Phil sent you, and she will get you taken care of. I am one of her DMs, and can honestly tell you that she is the most diver friendly, least money hungry dive operator on the Island

Message me on here if I can help you out with anything while you are down here. I can suggest to you where to eat and where NOT to eat. And for the other things you want to do, I can get you set up with that through the best operators for what you want to do.

AVOID THE BOOKING BOOTHS ON DUVAL ST!! They are owned by the operators, and will book you on THEIR boats or whoever is paying them the highest commission for the day. I get nothing from anyone, and just want everyone who comes to my island to enjoy it.

Im actually trying to find people to go down THIS week if you could make it early. I have a 3BR townhouse set up through Sunday in Old Town and will be doing trips to the Vandenberg once she is down on Weds

I will be driving down this Friday evening (29th) the minute my sons high school football game ends. Staying in Truman annex, I have been to Key West loads of times. But this is my first visit since my OW, so the diving will be new.
The tank rentals are for a couple of beach dives from Fort Zack and Honda, just to go over a few skills and fine tune buoyancy.
Do not want to do any deep or wreck. I will be diving of tables and sucking up air so shallow 30 ish will give me decent dive time.I want to use tables until they are second nature before getting a computer.
Any information you have on dive opps would be really appreciated.I was thinking about using the one in front of Conch Rep (James Bond boat).
Thanks for the tip on Captains Corner, what street are they on?
Rich

Captains Corner is the Sea Eagle, which is the Bond boat. The shop itself is on Ann St, but Leslie is at the booth right on Greene St next to Conch Republic. So you can talk to her there about the tank rentals.

I would HIGHLY advise against beach diving off Ft Zach. There is a mean current that rips through there depending on the tide as everything flows in or out of the harbor and around Sunset Key.

You have to head about 4 miles offshore to get into 30fsw. And the Vandenberg is a great wreck even for a beginner becasue you can drop right down into one of the radar dishes and work on your buoyancy and have something to sit, stand or lay down on in 40fsw. Even the reefs such as 9 Foot Stake and Sand Key are in 20fsw, and you have a hard time finding 30fsw of bottom less than 6-7 miles out.

My advice is to get on a dive boat, enjoy what Key West has since you are coming down this far to dive, and dont sell yourself short on what is out there by doing a beach dive. It will only fuel your passion because even though life is a beach...... good diving is a reef or a wreck!

Damn I should coin that phrase.... I think I will

Will the seaeagle be diving the Van all week or will it be doing is usual reef dives? I will be diving with my wife we both have all our own gear (no tanks) do you have any idea how much the dives cost?. Thanks agin for your help Phil I hope I meet you next week.
Rich

/

Dives will run $65 for needing T&W. $55 without anything. Trips will run each day to the Vandenberg, as well as reef trips in the afternoon depending on the demand and request. I would honestly just leave your weights at home since they are included with the tanks. That could be 20lbs less you have to carry down to the boat. Plus, if you are diving integrated, you will know how much you need in your pouches, and can just load up on the boat.

I will be the tec DM on the trips through Monday morning. I have to head back up to the mainland to get some work done, but will be there for the weekend you will be in. So I hope to see you aboard next weekend

We will do the Sunday afternoon trip so will see you then. I owe you a cold one in the Conch Republic.
Rich.

I will always vote for Captains Corner! Leslie IS the bomb!!!

Hey Phil, are they planning on any afternoon trips to the V or only mornings? We're planning (as usual) to stay in Marathon when we're down, and getting my a$$ up and down there early sucks!

Trips to Vandenberg have been running either morning or afternoon. Today was our last trip for about 10 days since we have to do our yearly haul out to have the Sea Eagle inspected by the Coast Guard, etc. We are planning to have the boat back by about the 10th or so to start running trips again. If you have a group or anyone that wants to dive both AM & PM, call Leslie and let her know that you want an afternoon trip several days in advance so she can move her students schedules around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom