Tank selection for Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well just to start, I've just booked my Fundies class for next spring in Ottawa, On and I'm having trouble on gear selection.

I've been diving in a single HP119 tank rig from the beginning in a 7mm wetsuit + 7mm shortie and now in the process of getting a drysuit but that's not really the issue since I'll probably end up getting a Santi E.Motion in the next week. I hope to be able to shoot for a tech pass but I can't make up my mind on tank selection.

Option #1

get a second matching size HP119 and manifold + bands to build a twinset.

Pros: Longer bottom time, less lead and perhaps better trim.
Cons: heavier off water, could be a little bit more expensive and I won't have a single tank anymore

Option #2

get a full AL80 twinset already built by LDS

Pros: Cheap, I get to keep a single hp119 to dive with GF, less prone to rust on our yearly trip to Ft. Lauderdale in salt water
and I'll need a few AL80's for T1 anyways.
Cons: not much more bottom time than single rig, need to melt V/P-weights

Thoughts?

ps. Don't worry, I'll post a course report after the 4days straight exhausting course!

Of the above options the 80's sound like the best choice. Easy to balance and accessible all around the world and a large number of people are diving with them. Enjoy the class and if you need any help before during or after just reach out. I'm right across the river and we dive every weekend. Best, bob 6077653942

Wow, those are two choices I wouldn't put at the head of my list.

The 119s are not unmanageably negative at -2 empty, and they aren't unmanageably tall. I don't know anyone who dives them, so I can't speak to how they trim. You probably could double them up, but losing your only single tank is something I wouldn't do. But I'm very much in the minority in our GUE community locally -- most of our divers go on to doubles and dive nothing else. I'm almost 60 years old and acutely aware that I have the only back and knees I'm ever going to get, so I do single tank dives with . . . a single tank!

Double Al80's are delightful tanks in warm water. There, the weight you have to use to sink them isn't annoying, and can be put on the bottom bolt, so their butt-light tendency when empty doesn't cause problems. In cold water? Most people like the extra gas and reduced lead of steels.

Around our parts, the most popular doubles are HP100s. They're enough gas for any T1 dive for most people, they trim out well and are a reasonable size, and don't weigh a ton. They're expensive, because they're popular both as doubles and as single tanks.

Why don't you ask your instructor which set he recommends?

Of the above options the 80's sound like the best choice. Easy to balance and accessible all around the world and a large number of people are diving with them. Enjoy the class and if you need any help before during or after just reach out. I'm right across the river and we dive every weekend. Best, bob 6077653942

Thanks for your input! I guess you were diving with Steve this weekend?

Wow, those are two choices I wouldn't put at the head of my list.

The 119s are not unmanageably negative at -2 empty, and they aren't unmanageably tall. I don't know anyone who dives them, so I can't speak to how they trim. You probably could double them up, but losing your only single tank is something I wouldn't do. But I'm very much in the minority in our GUE community locally -- most of our divers go on to doubles and dive nothing else. I'm almost 60 years old and acutely aware that I have the only back and knees I'm ever going to get, so I do single tank dives with . . . a single tank!

Double Al80's are delightful tanks in warm water. There, the weight you have to use to sink them isn't annoying, and can be put on the bottom bolt, so their butt-light tendency when empty doesn't cause problems. In cold water? Most people like the extra gas and reduced lead of steels.

Around our parts, the most popular doubles are HP100s. They're enough gas for any T1 dive for most people, they trim out well and are a reasonable size, and don't weigh a ton. They're expensive, because they're popular both as doubles and as single tanks.

Why don't you ask your instructor which set he recommends?

I wondered about double 100's but like you mentionned, they are indeed expensive hence the reason why I wanted to retrofit my single 119. I'll be down over $3k this week for the DS then I have to get a second first stage and a new wing before I even think of upgrading the tanks. the 119's are heavy and everything but I'm a big guy at 6'3" 215#. And for the instructor, I will talk with him for sure since I'll probably end up getting the tanks from him
03.gif

Have you checked CL for tanks? You might be surprised what you find. My friend found a good steel tank, just needed hydro and vis, for about $85 on CL. It was a 119 but my point is there are a lot of scuba tanks on CL locally.

Have you checked CL for tanks? You might be surprised what you find. My friend found a good steel tank, just needed hydro and vis, for about $85 on CL. It was a 119 but my point is there are a lot of scuba tanks on CL locally.

Craigslist is not very popular in Quebec, actually Most Canadians don't use CL, we have a free classified site called Kijiji.ca which is pretty much the same with a different template and I'm checking everyday. What I came to realize is that retail price for new tanks is lower here but buying used, people try to get too much money for their "valued, out of hydro, tanks"

At 6'3 double 100's will not be a very friendly option. They will be very difficult to trim out. They are short and the weight will be high on you. If most of your diving is here on the river 80's or 130's are the choice. Personally I'm not a big fan of the 130's though I have four sets of them. As Lynn said one back.:wink: Here balanced is not an issue as you can crawl or walk out from most sites.
i was in Toronto over the weekend with students and promoting GUE growth in Canada, so I'm sure our paths will meet in the near future as Montreal is calling me:wink:
I remember that Steve did have some tanks for sale a while back, he might still have them so touching base with him is highly recommended. If not, I have some that I'd be willing to part with.
13 sets of 80's might be too many????? Need anything in your journey forward don't be afraid to reach out. Best bob
Thanks for your input! I guess you were diving with Steve this weekend?

I wondered about double 100's but like you mentionned, they are indeed expensive hence the reason why I wanted to retrofit my single 119. I'll be down over $3k this week for the DS then I have to get a second first stage and a new wing before I even think of upgrading the tanks. the 119's are heavy and everything but I'm a big guy at 6'3" 215#. And for the instructor, I will talk with him for sure since I'll probably end up getting the tanks from him
03.gif

So, you're switching into a drysuit RIGHT before Fundies? Are you already comfortable diving dry? I've never taken Fundies, but switching to dry was a HUGE pain when I started my path into Tech.

As far as tanks, it seems like doubles are a bit like SM tanks.....you need to dive them before you can be sure you like them. My suggestion, besides calling your instructor, is to try to find as many rental doubles as possible before purchasing a set. I finally bought a set of tanks, but I did 4 trial dives where I specifically changed nothing but the tank type before I bought them. I couldn't be happier. I've got a buddy that bought tanks because he thought they'd be fine. He's looking at converting to my tanks.

So, you're switching into a drysuit RIGHT before Fundies? Are you already comfortable diving dry? I've never taken Fundies, but switching to dry was a HUGE pain when I started my path into Tech.

As far as tanks, it seems like doubles are a bit like SM tanks.....you need to dive them before you can be sure you like them. My suggestion, besides calling your instructor, is to try to find as many rental doubles as possible before purchasing a set. I finally bought a set of tanks, but I did 4 trial dives where I specifically changed nothing but the tank type before I bought them. I couldn't be happier. I've got a buddy that bought tanks because he thought they'd be fine. He's looking at converting to my tanks.

I'm switching to a drysuit right now and course is not til may 31st 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My only recommendation is to NOT STOP DIVING, then. It was absolutely the most miserable thing to fight my drysuit while in Cavern/Intro. I had 25 dry dives but needed another 25 dives in it before I was confident.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom