Tank size for EAN50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What tank size do you usualy use for EAN50 for dives in Tech-1 range (only one deco tank)? Catalina of Luxfer?

If you are using a 30 or 40 cu ft tank, Luxfers tend to ride much nicer than Catalina's.

I'll agree with DA Aquamaster about Luxfers riding better than the Catalina's. I didn't believe it at first when divers recommended the Luxfers over the Catalina, until I borrowed my buddy's Luxfer 40 and compaired it to my Catalina 40 cuft. I find the 30s OK but a bit to small,40 are a lot nicer when doing about 30 min of deco.

Cheers

MonkSeal:
What tank size do you usualy use for EAN50 for dives in Tech-1 range (only one deco tank)? Catalina of Luxfer?
I use Luxfer 40s. Sometimes I think a 30 might work out better, but 10 ft too big is an error I can live with.

Soggy:
If a dive requires more deco than can be done on 50% with an al40, you would be better off carrying another Al40 or O2 vs carrying an Al80 of 50%. It gives you more options, plus a cleaner deco.

This is not entirely spot on Soggy. There are times from operational simplicity where a single 80 filled with 50% ean is more beneficial than carrying 2 - 40's. A prime example is a static anchor dive where the surface conditions make it difficult to hold 10-20 fsw stops. In this case having a little more 50/50 is more advantageous than having a bottle of O2 that cannot be used.

Having conducted several thousand gas dives over the past 15 years I can say without a shadow of a doubt that while oxygen is better for washout it does leave you with a specific Maximum Operating Depth that is unforgiving.

One of my favorite cylinders for 50/50 is a Luxfer 63. It's more than a 40 and it hangs better than an 80.

Just my nickles worth.

Cheers

Obviously, there are exceptions to any rule, but given that we are discussing DIR and given that conditions where a 20ft stop can't be safely held are extremely rare (there is no reason for a 10ft O2 stop, IMO), as a general rule, dives requiring more deco than can be accomplished on a single 40 of 50% would be better off with 2 40s than 1 80. As you know, unless there is a *substantial* ground swell, surface conditions do not really propagate down very deep and most problems with a static drop line can be compensated with a jon line.

The original question was regarding Tech 1, which uses a single 40 of EAN50, and the position of GUE, I believe, is that (at that level) if you can't complete your dive on a single 40, you need to redo your plan.

JS1scuba:
This is not entirely spot on Soggy. There are times from operational simplicity where a single 80 filled with 50% ean is more beneficial than carrying 2 - 40's. A prime example is a static anchor dive where the surface conditions make it difficult to hold 10-20 fsw stops. In this case having a little more 50/50 is more advantageous than having a bottle of O2 that cannot be used.

There has been some discussion about this on the UK DIR forums (see my sig :wink:), and the Tech-1 guys generally agree that an 80 is a good choice, particularly if it's not full (around 2000psi) as it floats up nicely. Personally, I have a 7 litre (what's that in cuft?), but that's mainly because I got it for a good price and because 80s were difficult to get hold of at the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom