Tank valve knob lock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After you've opened and closed a few tanks you'll know that's the least of your worries.

A typical single tank valve is not going to roll off if you hit the ceiling. It's going to roll on because a typical valve is "lefty loosy". When the valve scrapes the ceiling, it will rub it in the left direction or on. You would have to be going backwards to even have the possibility of rolling "righty tighty".

Yes, but I agree.

Obviously I obviate with your obversion. Or am I obversing with your obviation? I’d like to use obvolute but obviously I don’t know what it means. Something obverse about a leaf.

Obviously I obviate with your obversion. Or am I obversing with your obviation? I’d like to use obvolute but obviously I don’t know what it means. Something obverse about a leaf.
obversely.......never mind.

It's not a problem that you will encounter. At least a new diver should never be in a position where it can happen (in a cave, wreck, etc.) Instead of taking a proven simple and good technology and turn it into a wreck, get a pony bottle. That will solve a lot of your paranoia. After spending more time and getting comfortable you can leave it behind.

I did have tank valve get turned off by my drysuit hose once. Was diving wet and wrapped the DS hose around the valve. It seems everybody time I looked up it pushed the hose which turned the valve off a little each time. Eventually the valve closed causing an OOA situation. Switched to pony and had buddy turn gas back on. Lesson learned, spare hose goes down tank in cam band.

I've been diving since 1969 and this has never happened to me. However, if I'm in a cave and hear/feel my tank bump the ceiling, I reach back on both sides (double tanks) and make sure that they are open.

Thanks for taking my question seriously. However, does not the fact that you feel the need to reach back and make sure they are still open, indicate that you feel there is a possibility that they might not be? Wouldn't a system give you more peace of mind if you never felt the need to reach back and check?

I'm not saying that this is a high probability occurrence, but so many of the best practices in scuba are to avoid extremely low probability events. The whole debate over "half a turn back" or "all the way open" for example is only relevant to extremely low probability scenarios...as is the discussion of ditchable weights, or potential BCD failure, backup air supply, backup backup backup light sources, etc...these protections aren't there because we expect to have to use them, they are there to reduce the probability to as close to zero as possible, and the current design of these knobs just seems like a sub-optimal one that could be easily improved upon. It really surprises me that nobody has.

In case of a free flow on one of my regs, I want to be able to isolate that reg off. No, you can't do this with only one tank, but you could feather the tank open/close with the offending reg in your mouth. You can't even do that if it's locked open.

That's a very good point, and is an example of why I wouldn't want to jump to something so permanent as a zip tie or something like that. When I said "locking" I didn't really mean permanently locked, but rather something that would require 2 distinct motions, one motion to unlock and then another motion to open/close.

I did have tank valve get turned off by my drysuit hose once. Was diving wet and wrapped the DS hose around the valve. It seems everybody time I looked up it pushed the hose which turned the valve off a little each time. Eventually the valve closed causing an OOA situation. Switched to pony and had buddy turn gas back on. Lesson learned, spare hose goes down tank in cam band.

Okay, so it's happened to someone at least once...which pretty much nullifies any argument that "this is a non-issue."

Thank you for sharing.

Or did you want to use a locker combination type or maybe a Titanium Master Lock?
{Smiles} This is 2018.........Alexa - Unlock my tank !! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom