Tank ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA482

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A rookie question I admit, but wondering why it sounds like there is a bb inside my al80. I can hear it rolling around while moving it. I don't recall this before, but then again I usually can't hear small things like that anyway.

Second that, dip tube.

When you are ready for a fill, go down to your local fill station and drain the cylinder. Pop the valve off (should not need any more than a good thump with the palm of you hand - if so it was put on too tight), turn the cylinder upside down, dumping the contents on a white piece of paper (so you can see if any other gunk comes out). If something other than the dip tube rolls out have the fill shop do a quick visual inspection. Otherwise screw the dip tube back on to the valve and put the valve back on the cylinder. Have the cylinder filled.

Do this procedure at the fill station so you do not bring them in an empty cylinder which might then require a complete visual inspection.

Second that, dip tube.

When you are ready for a fill, go down to your local fill station and drain the cylinder. Pop the valve off (should not need any more than a good thump with the palm of you hand - if so it was put on too tight), turn the cylinder upside down, dumping the contents on a white piece of paper (so you can see if any other gunk comes out). If something other than the dip tube rolls out have the fill shop do a quick visual inspection. Otherwise screw the dip tube back on to the valve and put the valve back on the cylinder. Have the cylinder filled.

Do this procedure at the fill station so you do not bring them in an empty cylinder which might then require a complete visual inspection.

ok sounds good...dip tube huh...never heard of that in OW :D...it's a brand new tank too that i just bought after finishing up my OW class in July...is this common?

Common enough! I happened on a brand new tank I bought.

Richard

so what's the threat? can you dive on it? tank was just filled so kinda curious if a safety issue that needs immediate attention, or can it wait until tank is used?

The dip tube is there on the off chance you have crud or water in the tank. If you were to invert (head down), the crud or water would go into your regulator. In turn, this would plug up the regulator and you would find yourself short of breath. The dip tube is about 3" long and provides a little freeboard to prevent the problem.

You can come up with all kinds of reasons why the dive might be safe. But if dip tubes weren't a good idea, we wouldn't have them.

Around here a fill is less than $5 so I don't think I would be worried about the cost. But there's no way I would dive the tank until it is repaired.

Richard

so what's the threat? can you dive on it? tank was just filled so kinda curious if a safety issue that needs immediate attention, or can it wait until tank is used?

This is your life support unit you are talking about, don't dive it if it's not in top condition.

makes sense to me...i'll have it fixed tomorrow, well before my scheduled dives on tuesday...thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom