Tanks in HOT cars and wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The heat required to rupture a tank with only 200 psi would probably set your car on fire first. You'll be fine. The most dangerous thing would be an unsecured tank flying around in an accident.

From reading these posts, the most dangerous thing in that car is neither the tank nor the driver/diver.

There, I said what most were thinking.

My math says a mere 222 psi, but bringing logic to an emotional argument may not be the best play. She's worried. Taking the valve off completely will address that. Tape the opening to avoid contamination. Transfill 200 psi back in when you get home so your fill shop will be happy.

TBH, you might want a vis anyway if you just got this used.
It just got a clean, pro valve, and VIP. Don't have the ability for a transfill. Don't want to pull the valve unless I just cant get away from it.

I have a couple of steel tanks that permanently live in my car. I’m in the Midwest. They’ve not exploded or anything, even with the 100 degree heat we had two days this week. I won’t leave my rebreather O2 tanks in the car all the time like that, but the ones with air? I don’t worry about it.

My doubles mostly live in the back of my SUV between April and November -- just don't feel like lugging them up and down the basement stairs every few weeks when I go diving.

But when we talk science, physics, PV=nRT, which not has to be K. Emperical doesn’t work
Incorrect.

Science, and physics work in Imperial units, lol, the numbers just aren't as convenient.

It does not work in imperial with Fahrenheit but it does with Rankine. Just the same as in Metric it does not work with Celsius, but it does with Kelvin.

The requirement to work is that 0 is absolute zero. In metric absolute zero is 0 K = -273 C. In Imperial absolute zero is 0 R = -460 F.
0 K = 0 R = -273 C = -460 F

My doubles mostly live in the back of my SUV between April and November -- just don't feel like lugging them up and down the basement stairs every few weeks when I go diving.

I live in an apartment. I’d have to bounce my cart up the curb to the sidewalk, and then up a 5” step into the building while trying to hold the door open. I can get my rebreather and all other gear in one cart load. My bum knees are much happier with fewer trips.

Well, I was going the 55 MPH speed limit in a Miata MX5 with an aluminum 80 in the trunk, two years ago this September. And it was around 100 degrees and the tank had been in there while I was in the gym. Then a cell phone texting person decided to blow through a double stop sign and hit me because whatever she was doing was more important than both of our lives and property. Dislocated my shoulder and cut my face and hand. Tweaked my neck a bit too. The car, totaled, me, not so good, required surgery. But the tank, good to go.

Back
Top Bottom