Tanks too low

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keller34

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I have been looking at some photos for the past 3 months and I was bothered by something on quite a few of them. I could not figure out why until I saw a photo in Dive Training that had the same issue.

It seems like most of the photos I have seen, the divers, are wearing the tank way too low. There is no way to reach the valve unless they are Stretch Armstrong or Gumby. It looks like the tank is about to slip right out.

Now that I had found that issue I have started to notice it being done at different dive locations that I go to.

Am I missing something here? I wear my tank centered where if need be I can reach the hoses, first stage, and valve. I do not bump my head even when looking up. Can someone explain this to me as it looks odd and is kicking in a little of OCD madness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

When I was diving bm I found myself lowering my tank frequently. I was diving with it very low to try and get my trim right with my super-light fins. In a single tank, there's really very little need to reach the valve, anyway....it's not like you'll be doing valve feathering drills :D. The other thing to mention is that, even if you DO have to reach the valves, it's a piece of cake to undo your waist strap and lift the tank towards your head. Easy to do, especially with 5min of practice.

I guess that kinda makes sense but some of the ones I have seen the tank is about to slip out. I have never dove any light fins, they have been jets or the DR XL. I just have it in my mind I guess that I like to be able to grab the hose if I need to and feel the first stage.

The Dive Rites qualify as light fins fwiw, but yeah most of the agencies teach it because it's more comfortable since you won't whack your head. It's not right, but it's the standard unfortunately.

The Dive Rites qualify as light fins fwiw, but yeah most of the agencies teach it because it's more comfortable since you won't whack your head. It's not right, but it's the standard unfortunately.

Other than being aesthetically displeasing, what's wrong with it? I was taught to keep it higher on your back, which screwed up my trim with most tanks. I didn't like fighting physics, so I fixed it.

My DR fins are almost 6lbs...that is light? I have some fins my sons use that are only 2.5lbs. I was taught that it should be where you can reach it... Just like my doubles.

My DR fins are almost 6lbs...that is light? I have some fins my sons use that are only 2.5lbs. I was taught that it should be where you can reach it... Just like my doubles.

I was, too. But, I have 3 serious problems with it:

1) What do you need to realistically reach your valve for in a single tank? It's not like you can shut off the post.
2) What's the problem if I CAN reach my valve by using a slight modification to the technique?
3) Why suffer poor trim every dive just to keep the tank valves within "Easier reach" when physics simply doesn't make it a comfortable endeavor?

Having said all of that, I think part of why people dive with their tanks falling out is that the tanks ARE falling out. Many/most divers I've seen dive with cambands set too loosely, cambands set while dry and then wetted, no/poor rubber grip for cambands, etc. My tanks were slightly low but not as low as it sounds like you're seeing (having reread your post).

I was, too. But, I have 3 serious problems with it:

1) What do you need to realistically reach your valve for in a single tank? It's not like you can shut off the post.
2) What's the problem if I CAN reach my valve by using a slight modification to the technique?
3) Why suffer poor trim every dive just to keep the tank valves within "Easier reach" when physics simply doesn't make it a comfortable endeavor?

Having said all of that, I think part of why people dive with their tanks falling out is that the tanks ARE falling out. Many/most divers I've seen dive with cambands set too loosely, cambands set while dry and then wetted, no/poor rubber grip for cambands, etc. My tanks were slightly low but not as low as it sounds like you're seeing (having reread your post).

Right the ones I have seen are looking like they're falling out but it's quite a lot of them. As far as trim my trim is actually better with the tank more forward than hanging on my butt. As far as reaching the valve not shutting it off, I agree that is not realistic but being able to feel the first stage and hoses are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom