Tanks too low

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only issue I have with the pic is there is issues with everyone but the 2nd from the left, she has it right. Another reason tho have the tank a little higher.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Get the tank between your shoulder blades. Believe it or not, that lady second from left has it close to right. Just get it feeling right for you. On single tank you just want it to feel right so you are floating level?? Does that make sense? No fighting your ballast. Like you are in space.

It takes time.

Different strokes for different folks.

Emphasis on the strokes part :wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is getting a little edgy for the Basic forum.

Please remind yourselves of the "no flame" rules and tone it down a notch please.

I have one question... when you say people keep their tanks low... do you mean while standing up on the boat, or in the water?

Reason I ask is that I have, on several occasions had DMs trying to raise my tank. I have always needed to have the strap as close to the top bend on the tank as physically possibile. In "regular" bcds this made it look like it wore the tank on my bum. However, I have a very short torso, and if hte tank were any higher, I'd have it banging my head.

I always keep my valves at reach (I only dive doubles at home) and will do a valve check every time someone touch them. (This got particularly funny on one boat. DM touched to check (I played nice and let him) but immidiately did a flow check. He check back. I did a flow check. Third time I was not as patient and told him to stick his fingers...

The tanks I have seen are to the point that it looks like is it was bumped or jarred a little it would slide right out. I see it most with single cam bands. I figured if it did then it would rip the reg out of the person's mouth and hang with the lp hose on the BCD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The tanks I have seen are to the point that it looks like is it was bumped or jarred a little it would slide right out. I see it most with single cam bands. I figured if it did then it would rip the reg out of the person's mouth and hang with the lp hose on the BCD.
If the cam band's too loose, the tank can slip out. If it's properly fastened the odds are very much against it, regardless of how high or low the band is. I did lose a tank that way, once, diving with unfamiliar rental kit (still my fault, of course) but it was nothing dramatic. It was only the slight pulling of the reg that alerted me to it. Mind you, I wouldn't fancy it slipping out halfway up the boat ladder...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom