Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Dan the Scuba Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey guys,

i'm looking around for a steel tank but i'm not sure weather a Steel 80 or a steel 100 are for me.

I'm dead set on steel tanks so unless you have an extremly good reason why aluminum is better (cheaper is not an extremly good reason) dont post it..

I'm a new diver but my SAC rate isn't that bad.. ( like .5 or .6/feet cubed) and i'm looking for information. thanks
-Dan

What's the price difference between the two...my thoughts are, you might as well go with the bigger one, more bottom time.

I LOVE my PST steel HP 80, shorter so no hitting you in the head or the rump and get to dive with much less weight....they're GREAT!!! If you can get a good deal on a 100 they're still smaller than an AL 80. The only problem I had was on a liveaboard they would not do a HP fill so I lost out on a few cf, next time I do that trip (Texas Flower Gardens) I'm gonna do Nitrox anyway and they supply the tank.

I'd go for the HP100 myself, well I actually went for the HP120 but the point is the HP100 is a bit smaller than the AL80 and will at worst equal the volume of it, and at best you'll have more air than the AL80 which comes in handy with Nitrox.

I think you have narrowed your choices down to two very good tanks. You won't go wrong either way. The HP steel 80 tanks are very nice small tanks, they are so much smaller than an Al 80. THe 100's are great as well. Lots of air in a managable size, comfortable to dive. I like worthington better just because of the finish but other than that they are all about the same.

Brent
www.hidawayscuba.com

I have 2 Faber LP95's for sale for $300 shipped. One even has a left handed H valve. They are brand new and have never been wet. Relocation forces me to sell. Let me know if you're interested.

Yes, definitely think you should go for a 12ltr 300bar!!!! (Yes, I haven't a clue what your cylinder sizing means either!)

Dan Dan the Scuba Man:
hey guys,

i'm looking around for a steel tank but i'm not sure weather a Steel 80 or a steel 100 are for me.

I'm dead set on steel tanks so unless you have an extremly good reason why aluminum is better (cheaper is not an extremly good reason) dont post it..

I'm a new diver but my SAC rate isn't that bad.. ( like .5 or .6/feet cubed) and i'm looking for information. thanks
-Dan

That is totally dependant on your individual circumstances. Tanks vary widely, as to how long they are, how they trim out empty vs full, how much gas they hold at what pressure, what pressure is required to get a full fill, etc.

I am kinda tall, and my semidry that I usually dive in the springs tends to give me floaty feet, so a tall steel tank allows me to get more of the tank weight down where I need it. An aluminum tank that tends to float the bottom of the tank as it empties would be absolutely horrendous for me. Now the the wetsuit combo that I used to dive had me with 3 lbs on my belt with an aluminum tank, and, outside of increased volume, a steel tank made no real sense there.

If the shop that you get your fills at cannot pump past 3000 psi, you can't get the volume benefit that the high pressure tanks provide. On the other hand, I have an occasional buddy that has an incredible SAC rate who can get her HP 80 filled to rated pressure, and that tank is God's Gift to her. Me, I am eyeing a LP 120 that I can get overfilled, just so I have a prayer of hanging with her, LOL.

As has been said, it depends on your circumstances. Some boats (and some shops!) can't fill HP tanks, so if you bought an HP80, you'd end up with less than an Alum.80, the usual benchmark. If you had an HP100, on the other hand, you'd still have noticeably more than an Alum. 80 even with only 3000psi. And the HP100 still is small than the 80. Bonus all around. The only benefit to the HP80, in my opinion, is the incredibly compact size. Very small tank, considering how much gas it holds... IF you can get a good fill. Me, I'd rather have more air on my back and not need it than not have it, and need or want it. Fills cost the same either way, and it makes very little difference, weight-wise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom