Taxi From Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. Sorry about that.

I always get phone numbers of cab drivers (many of the even have cards) and keep them in my whatsapp. I did it once where I texted them from the plane when I landed and he came and picked us up at the taco stand.
I do have a driver that I normally use. This is a great idea. Normally it is a ritual to grab some food or if rushed, a horchata from Diego's; but they do not stay open late afternoon/evening. I will use your suggestion this Oct. sure beats taking a shuttle:wink:

I don't get the shuttle issue really - shoot, for a few bucks more get a private one... The fares from all three companies are basically the same. I can't believe a taxi taking you to Secrets for much less than 12 per person - especially considering one of them yahoos just charged a guy $30 from centro to the airport.

Counting the time walking, the work walking - it ain't any faster.

1689308488371.png

I can't believe a taxi taking you to Secrets for much less than 12 per person
Sorry, but I can't understand Spanish. How much is the shared van to Secrets and how much is the private?

I don't get the shuttle issue really - shoot, for a few bucks more get a private one.
I don't know what the taxis charge from the circle to Secrets, but I guess it's more than $12, but surely less than $48, so some with little luggage would find the walk appealing. After waiting in line after line on the trip down, no one wants to wait in another for the shared van to pack full.
Per Chuck's sheet. (Zone 3)
(USD)
Shared van (1-10) $12 each
Private taxi (1-4) $48
Private van (1-12) $121

I can't believe a taxi taking you to Secrets for much less than 12 per person
No, but less than $48.

I don't get the shuttle issue really - shoot, for a few bucks more get a private one... The fares from all three companies are basically the same. I can't believe a taxi taking you to Secrets for much less than 12 per person - especially considering one of them yahoos just charged a guy $30 from centro to the airport.

Counting the time walking, the work walking - it ain't any faster.
There are definitely two camps regarding this issue, but I agree with you, in part because "traveling light" is not in our vocabulary. Other points are that in our normal two week stay the time differential (if it exists) and price differential (likewise) are inconsequential, a 250 yard hike in the heat with luggage isn't something I want to do, there are occasional crackdowns on taxis picking up passengers at the circle or near it, and as I have said before, I do not mind the shuttle ride; I enjoy being with other folks who are experiencing the end of the airline/airport experience and the beginning of vacation, even if we are packed in like sardines for a little while.

But DSFDF, although I will point out that hiking out of the airport to catch a cab only works if only a few people are doing it. If I were in the other camp I would be cautious about trying to convince others to do it.

Is this because of the crackdowns? If one is willing to catch a cab (I never have), what are the downsides?
Seems pretty obvious that the more people doing it, the bigger the problem it is to the colectivo shuttles, the more likely there is to be a crackdown.

Is this because of the crackdowns? If one is willing to catch a cab (I never have), what are the downsides?
No, I mean that, as I said, this is an alternative only because so few people do it. If a whole lot of people started schlepping out to the street to take cabs, it would cease to be viable for anyone. If it were something I would be inclined to do I wouldn't be trying to convince others to do it.

Seems pretty obvious that the more people doing it, the bigger the problem it is to the colectivo shuttles, the more likely there is to be a crackdown.
That and the traffic problems it would cause.

Back
Top Bottom