Taxi Strike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxi drivers affect the tourist life of Cozumel

COZUMEL, May 30.- Representatives of various business sectors, ask leaders of the taxi drivers union "Adolfo López Mateos" not to affect the tourist life of Cozumel with demonstrations and blockades as part of their disagreement over the issue of the Mobility Law . They suggest that they implement competitive strategies.
At a press conference, José Eduardo Becerra Ruiz, president of the Business Coordinating Council (CCE), accompanied by María José López Castillo, president of the National Chamber of the Restaurant Industry and Seasoned Foods (Canirac), Eduardo Morales Rivas, leader of the Chamber National Trade (Canaco), Marco Rojas Morales, president of the Association of Hotels of Cozumel (AHC), among others, read the pronunciation made by Eduardo González Cid, leader of the Employers Confederation of the Mexican Republic (Coparmex) .
In said text, the representative of the last group, said he felt worried about the recent blockages that occurred in the communication channels in the entity, so he called for the government, in its three levels, to act and guarantee free transit of own and visitors.
It was established the need to maintain the dialogue between the affected parties and those who approved said Law, but without this representing an affectation to third parties, as occurred in the entity last Tuesday, during the blockades, both on federal highways of the continental massif, like in one of the main avenues of the island, as it is the Rafael E. Melgar, which derived that several tourists lost their trip of the federal route until the following hour.
The presidents of business chambers demanded unconditional respect for the right of free movement of all citizens of the state and in particular of the island.
Therefore, they added: "We ask the three orders of government to seek order and apply the law, respecting the rights of the society we all conform. It is necessary that they make their fight, but by the legal and corresponding ways, not with blockades that end up affecting destinations that depend on tourism in a 100 percent ".

I believe the story, based on the fact that I was told a similar story by another dive guide from a different shop just a year before. And the guides took great lengths to avoid being obvious when picking us up,

Same with on Coz. We were told to “hurry up” when getting out of dive shop transportation, and not because the shop driver was in a hurry. It was to avoid confrontation.

They're taking the rules that apply on Cozumel, and applying them to the mainland.
Sorry, but it's apples and oranges.
It's not true.

They're taking the rules that apply on Cozumel, and applying them to the mainland.
Sorry, but it's apples and oranges.
It's not true.

Several people tell me a similar story but you say it’s not true so I’m supposed to believe you? You’re funny.

I've spent way too many days on the mainland, about 90, (maybe more), and way too old to care whether you believe me or not.

Then why are you spending so much energy saying it isnt true? Staying on the mainland doesnt mean you know every single taxi driver and know every single incident that has ever taken place.

Some people like to paint Coz in a golden brush. While I love visiting there and go there often, I am neither an expert on the island, nor it is not some perfect paradise. Is every taxi driver trying to rip people off? No. But enough of them do that is it common knowledge that they will try.

I went to Tia Juana often when I was a little kid so I got an early start with the bartering. I don't recall ever feeling the need to barter with the taxi drivers on Cozumel--the fare they told me was always fair. We were in front of MEGA one time and three young, American women asked a taxi driver how much it would be to the airport and he obviously was trying to take advantage of them. I'm guessing if I had asked it would have been about one fourth the price. I recall one time in Puerto Vallarta where the guy wanted some absurd amount of money to take us a few blocks and we told him we would just walk. That is the only time I recall that the driver would not compromise. Other times in PV I bartered with them and settled on what I considered to be the standard fare, based upon other trips, but much of the time some bartering is necessary so I can understand why someone might be reluctant to hail a taxi if they are not feeling up to the challenge. We were at Puerto Juarez and the taxi drivers actually lied to us about how much the fare was for the ADO bus from Cancun to the airport. We ended up taking the taxi to the airport but paid about half of what they originally asked. What surprised me the most is that they take advantage of the workers on Cozumel. It seems like the more Spanish I learn the better I am treated by the taxi drivers so I'm surprised that a gringo who speaks a little Spanish would be treated better than a Mexican citizen who is fluent. The only bad thing I'm worried about when I get into a taxi is possibly being charged too much. Actually, I sometimes feel a bit like I'm taking advantage of them when I talk them down on a fairly long trip which ends up being something like about $7 US for a half hour ride.

One wrinkle in all this is that the taxis on Cozumel do not charge for distance traveled but a flat fee based on which zones you are traveling between. It's possible that a very short ride can seem pretty pricey if it crosses from one zone to another right next to it.

I have heard from different dive operators:

On the mainland, a mob of taxis surrounded a dive guide who had just picked up his customer in his truck to go on a cenote dive. Everyone got out of their cars. Threats of violence erupted. Not sure if anyone got beat up but it was a big scary scene.

On Coz, a passenger wanted to pay the rate stated on the rate card. The driver wanted more. Both parties got out of the taxi and a big scene resulted. The passenger tries to pay the driver and leave. The driver took the money and threw it in the passenger’s face.

That’s the kind of conflict I do not want to be a part of.

When in Rome... It's well known how the game is played; if you play by the local rules you won't have a problem. I have been going to Cozumel since the late 70's and I take taxis everywhere I need to go, and I have never, not once, been involved in a scene like the ones you describe.

I have frequently taken taxis on COZ and never had a problem (so far). I feel better taking COZ taxi than one from JFK.

WOW! 90 WHOLE DAYS? You're almost a resident and certainly an expert.

When that is 90 days in a three month period, for ten periods in a row, I guess we'll have to call him a resident...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom