Taxi Strike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locals have been begging for this for YEARS!

I've had some issues with taxis now and then, but making friends on the island and hearing their stories really opened my eyes. Once you know about this, you only have to pay a bit of attention and you see it all the time.

If they would pay attention to their market and remember who pays their wages they wouldnt have the reputation they have and they would not have the citizens begging for UBER, etc.

In many parts of the world, Taxi drivers use Uber. You can call for a taxi and pay for it using the app. You can also, of course, rate the driver. Those things alone would really help, and they wouldn't cut taxi drivers out at all. The island has LOTS of taxis. This could be a chance for the good drivers to increase their rides.

Do waiters snub local diners and cater to the toruists to get better tips?

Oh, yes, indeed. The most egregious in my personal experience was when I had a waiter snub a local who was eating with me at my table! He literally brought little complimentary starters for me, my wife, and our two visiting American friends, but not for my friend, his girlfriend, or his stepson. This was at a well-regarded restaurant. My local friend said nothing, but my visiting friend (a native Spanish-speaker) gave the waiter, manager, and owner a piece of his mind and will refuse to return there. There are several places that won't seat or serve people who look too "local" even if they're well-dressed but will fall all over me even in my shabby rags. This can be an issue Mexico-wide and is a form of "malinchismo".

WOW! 90 WHOLE DAYS? You're almost a resident and certainly an expert.

When that is 90 days in a three month period, for ten periods in a row, I guess we'll have to call him a resident...

Do you have some facts to add to the conversation, or is honing your expertise in juvenile sarcastic prose enough?

Do you have some facts to add to the conversation, or is honing your expertise in juvenile sarcastic prose enough?

Just honing my expertise in juvenile sarcastic prose, sir.

Oh, yes, indeed. The most egregious in my personal experience was when I had a waiter snub a local who was eating with me at my table! He literally brought little complimentary starters for me, my wife, and our two visiting American friends, but not for my friend, his girlfriend, or his stepson. This was at a well-regarded restaurant. My local friend said nothing, but my visiting friend (a native Spanish-speaker) gave the waiter, manager, and owner a piece of his mind and will refuse to return there. There are several places that won't seat or serve people who look too "local" even if they're well-dressed but will fall all over me even in my shabby rags. This can be an issue Mexico-wide and is a form of "malinchismo".

I did not know that! But why? Aren’t they also paying customers? There must be some history behind this kind of attitude.

I did not know that! But why? Aren’t they also paying customers? There must be some history behind this kind of attitude.

I haven't eaten with enough locals to know but in one instance my guest got me a resident discount which nearly paid for her meal. I have no idea how that works if a local is not with some tourists, but it was clear that I was the one paying. She was worried that I did not receive my change and asked them to bring back the money that I had paid. I assured her that I knew what I was doing (at least in this particular case) and that I told the waiter to "keep the change" as a tip. This was communicated via two words "esta bien" which the waiter will often ask when he picks up the money. Perhaps she thought I was over-tipping, but I am used to tipping 15-20% in the USA and do it in Mexico too.

I haven't eaten with enough locals to know but in one instance my guest got me a resident discount which nearly paid for her meal. I have no idea how that works if a local is not with some tourists, but it was clear that I was the one paying. She was worried that I did not receive my change and asked them to bring back the money that I had paid. I assured her that I knew what I was doing (at least in this particular case) and that I told the waiter to "keep the change" as a tip. This was communicated via two words "esta bien" which the waiter will often ask when he picks up the money. Perhaps she thought I was over-tipping, but I am used to tipping 15-20% in the USA and do it in Mexico too.

And that may be why waiters shun locals - they want discounts and they do not tip on par with American tourists, if at all.

I would not expect a restaurant to extend a local discount to a tourist simply because the tourist is with a local. That is a pretty loose policy on the part of that restaurant/waiter or maybe they just didn't realize it.

And that may be why waiters shun locals - they want discounts and they do not tip on par with American tourists, if at all.

I would not expect a restaurant to extend a local discount to a tourist simply because the tourist is with a local. That is a pretty loose policy on the part of that restaurant/waiter or maybe they just didn't realize it.

On some of my earlier trips to Mexico I made an attempt to look like a local and the time-share people could spot me several blocks away. Now I usually wear a dive T-shirt that announces that I am a tourist. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any doubt. :wink: This particular restaurant (Cielito Lindo) was very Mexican two years ago and much more touristy on this visit last December. In any case I am planning on taking the same woman to dinner in October so we'll see what happens. Usually if the tip is included on the bill it's 10% so I can see why they might cater more to tourists.

I've had some issues with taxis now and then, but making friends on the island and hearing their stories really opened my eyes. Once you know about this, you only have to pay a bit of attention and you see it all the time.

At a restaurant with a local friend the waiter took our orders and then asked him if he wanted monkey. Nasty!

In many parts of the world, Taxi drivers use Uber. You can call for a taxi and pay for it using the app. You can also, of course, rate the driver. Those things alone would really help, and they wouldn't cut taxi drivers out at all. The island has LOTS of taxis. This could be a chance for the good drivers to increase their rides.

On some of my earlier trips to Mexico I made an attempt to look like a local and the time-share people could spot me several blocks away. Now I usually wear a dive T-shirt that announces that I am a tourist. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any doubt. :wink: This particular restaurant (Cielito Lindo) was very Mexican two years ago and much more touristy on this visit last December. In any case I am planning on taking the same woman to dinner in October so we'll see what happens. Usually if the tip is included on the bill it's 10% so I can see why they might cater more to tourists.

I still have a "Cozumel 2000" t shirt and Becky has a "Leave Me Alone" tank top. Time share sharks don't waste their time on us anymore.

On some of my earlier trips to Mexico I made an attempt to look like a local and the time-share people could spot me several blocks away. Now I usually wear a dive T-shirt that announces that I am a tourist. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any doubt. :wink:
Several years ago I walked through town multiple times and the same hawker approached me every time I passed the shop he was working for, trying to sell me whatever their wares were. One time that happened I stopped and asked him, faux seriously, "Do I look like a tourist to you???" I was wearing shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and a canvas wide brimmed hat, and I had a camera hanging around my neck. I was probably sunburned.

We looked at each other for a beat, and then he busted out laughing. After that, every time I passed him he just grinned and waved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom