TBNMS Expansion Bill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard about this back in June when I was diving on assignment for Scuba Diving magazine at TBNMS. It should be great because it will protect more shipwrecks just outside of the preserve, and there are a great number of excellent and popular wrecks nearby.

BTW, Scuba Diving magazine will feature the preserve in the Dec. Drive and Dive section of the magazine.

bladephotog - Scuba Diving magazine will feature the preserve in the Dec. Drive and Dive section of the magazine
I received the Scuba Diving magazine yesterday, they did a great job on the Thunder Bay area wrecks.

I'm also excited about the expansion, from a resource preservation point of view after what happened to the Northwestern last year, having her artifacts removed. I feels this is also a good move.

The current sanctuary has been very diver friendly and I also believe the expansion will be good for divers and shipwreck preservation.

I was really amazed when I went to TBNMS last June. We dove with the NOAA folks for three days and they are first rate. They have a very dedicated staff. The expansion will be great for sure. Also very cool is the center they're building/expanding there. When it's done it will be dynamite. This is certainly a premier dive destination in the Great Lakes.

It is good to see that there is support for the expansion . I do hope that it will led to better preservation of the wrecks and possibly more wrecks to dive on in the future . I am presently working with the sanctuary people on doing a survey of several wrecks off Presque Isle next summer . One of the wrecks is the Kyle Spangler which I located in 2003 . After the wreck survey is completed the location will be released . I would hope that the sanctuary would be expanded by that time to protect all the wrecks at Presque Isle . I am looking forward to working and diving with the sanctuary people .

Thank you Stan for giving us the Spangler, I can hardly wait until you and NOAA finish the survey so we can enjoy it. Also I had a excellent time diving with you and the MUPC group the first week of October on the Eber Ward, and Sandusky, then the off gassing at the keyhole in Mackinaw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom