TDI Instructor Course: Pre-Requisites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just a quick query that hopefully either someone from SDI/TDI HQ or any TDI IT can assist with.

A colleague and I are looking to complete a Adv. Nitrox & Deco. Proc. instructor course in 2009, and are trying to work out whether we meet the pre-req's in terms of number of certifications for nitrox divers, deep divers - or "equivalent".

Nitrox certifications is actually quite straightforward, we've both certified in excess of the 10 basic nitrox students required for entry into Adv. Nitrox instructor programme. What we're looking for is guidance as to what is considered equivalent to SDI Deep or TDI Adv. Nitrox.

Specifically, what is considered equivalent in the BSAC system of diver training? Sport Diver is "only" a 35m qualification, but probably contains more relevant content than a typical recreational Deep specialty course. Similarly, where do courses like Advanced Diver and Technical SDCs like Combined Nitrox or Advanced Nitrox (BSAC) sit?

I also teach a PADI distinctive specialty in preference to the standardised PADI Deep course. It's a strange little beastie - I tend to describe it as 70% GUE-Fundamentals and 30% SDI Solo Diver. Course content includes proper gas management, redundant equipment, focus on good in-water skills, situational awareness & team orientation, DSMB deployment, breathing gas concerns and so forth. Whilst it's not a "deep" certification, it provides all basic skills for safe deeper diving.

Who decides whether a given certification is equivalent, is it TDI HQ or the individual instructor trainer?

Many thanks in advance.

There is some flexibility, dealt with on a case by case basis - but any variation needs to be approved by TDI HQ, not the individual IT.

In this instance, my course is likely to bo considered equivalent, which is nice! :)

There is some flexibility, dealt with on a case by case basis - but any variation needs to be approved by TDI HQ, not the individual IT.

In this instance, my course is likely to bo considered equivalent, which is nice! :)

Glad Sean was able to deal with your question. And good luck with your IT program... and thank you for your interest in SDI, TDI!

Back
Top Bottom