Tech class and narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm interested in taking a tech class at some point in the future. Looking at TDI AN/DP and GUE Tech 1. My only reservation with TDI is diving that deep and getting narked. What mix do people normally use for AN/DP? 24 or 25%? Air? The max depth is 150' and even if you are using 25%, doesn't that almost guarantee that you will get narked? Being narked makes you stupid and I would prefer to not be stupid, especially so when doing a dive that incurs more risk than what I normally have done so far. Is there any way to do TDI classes from the beginning using some helium?

part of tec training (and it's an important part) is understanding narcosis and dealing with it on deep dives. Will you narced? Well, probably. How much will you get narced is not definite. Different people show varying signs of narcosis at different depths. I have one student who gets very narced at 100'! That's unusual.

Diving trimix is another level to that training. Take it one step at a time and you'll be a better (tec) diver for it.

25% ? Nitrox? No solid proof it reduces narcosis.

AN/DP doesn't take you into real narcotic ranges usually... At least here it's limited to 40m, and people usually start getting noticeably narc'd at ~35.

Diving trimix is another level to that training. Take it one step at a time and you'll be a better (tec) diver for it.
Well, no, at GUE you do trimix straight away in Tech1

See if any of the diving clubs/groups in your area offer a chamber dive. That way you have the opportunity to experience getting narced in a controlled environment. I'll be doing a chamber dive in the near future. The chamber operator will take us down to 130ft/40m. You can even count it as a logged dive - take your computer with you, put it in a bucket of water (which activates it), and it will register the depth changes, etc.

remember that the limit that you are certified to and the limit that you will dive to in training are VERY different. We have a 40ft max depth limit that we abide by during training, even though the divers are certified to 130ft. In cave country, AN/DP will rarely exceed 100ft if it's conducted in the caves, and if it does, it's only going to hit about 110ft. If you are an ocean diver and planning on diving deeper than 100ft on a regular basis, I'd look at taking Helitrox with AN. Helitrox basically replaces your DP course and allows you to use helium to minimize narcosis. Same 150ft depth limit, but it's going to be more in line with GUE's Tech 1 in terms of your certification limits. If you have not taken Fundies and gotten a tech pass, that is another hoop you have to pay to jump through if you choose to go that route, but may well be worth it if you plan on diving with GUE divers in your area.

So I'm interested in taking a tech class at some point in the future. Looking at TDI AN/DP and GUE Tech 1. My only reservation with TDI is diving that deep and getting narked. What mix do people normally use for AN/DP? 24 or 25%? Air? The max depth is 150' and even if you are using 25%, doesn't that almost guarantee that you will get narked? Being narked makes you stupid and I would prefer to not be stupid, especially so when doing a dive that incurs more risk than what I normally have done so far. Is there any way to do TDI classes from the beginning using some helium?
Do the helitrox version of AN/DP. It is almost exactly the same. Also when it comes to the planned deep 'qualification' dives you get to chose your plan, there is a minimum depth (30m) but you do not need to got to the full 45m. See https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...ual/TDI Diver Standards_10_Helitrox_Diver.pdf. Of course it may be sensible to take advantage of the instructor and do a properly deep dive with someone who is properly experienced.

If you take AN/DP, just be sure to take the helitrox component with it. There's no reason for you to be narced in your class. Another alternative might be the IANTD Advanced Recreational Trimix course.

Being narked makes you stupid and I would prefer to not be stupid, especially so when doing a dive that incurs more risk than what I normally have done so far.
Have you done dives at a depth where you got narked? I wonder because I get a feeling you have very little or no experience at this depth.

I have been at those depths and I certainly did not act stupid down below. However, my speed of thinking slowed down significantly. So, I now how I react to Nitrogen narcosis. Do you too? Just wondering.

See if any of the diving clubs/groups in your area offer a chamber dive. That way you have the opportunity to experience getting narced in a controlled environment. I'll be doing a chamber dive in the near future. The chamber operator will take us down to 130ft/40m. You can even count it as a logged dive - take your computer with you, put it in a bucket of water (which activates it), and it will register the depth changes, etc.
Wow. How did you arrange that? Chamber rides are hard to find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom