Tech computer: Perdix or Petrel 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to say the letters because if we say them three times, it might be like saying Beetlejuice and Ross will come in and derail the thread...

I don't believe he's able to derail anything over here anymore, based on his previous inability to politely debate the merits of decompression theory.

I don't want to say the letters because if we say them three times, it might be like saying Beetlejuice and Ross will come in and derail the thread...
No, he won't. Trust me on this.

Whatever I don't buy first, I will probably buy later on down the line and by that point, there might even be more improved Shearwater computers.
But for my first choice, either one will do just fine?

The decision isn't which one is "better" because they're essentially the same, The Perdix is more compact, won't go quite as deep, and has a slightly brighter screen.

You can't go wrong with either, although as I mentioned, I find the Perdix a little less user-friendly due to it's lowere profile.

Yes, he is.

ahh, didn't show under his username when I pulled a thread up, thought that was a thing on here, but don't see many banned people. Thanks for enforcing!

on the quite as deep thing that @Stoo mentioned, the odds of you exceeding the Perdix depth limits are basically 0. 260m is stupid deep

The decision isn't which one is "better" because they're essentially the same, The Perdix is more compact, won't go quite as deep, and has a slightly brighter screen.

You can't go wrong with either, although as I mentioned, I find the Perdix a little less user-friendly due to it's lowere profile.

Hey Stoo. Things got real busy. Thanks for the help. I reckon I will go for the Perdix, can always get a used Petrel later on but I have read so much good stuff about the Perdix so I would rather not pass up the opportunity.

Like a few others have posted, I have a Petrel and a Perdix. I have not lately upgraded the Petrel software, so they are running different software levels on different hardware (like another poster, I have to consider computing system reliability where I work).

I bought the Perdix because I got tired of the poor battery life of the VR3 and the price was reasonably close to the Petrel II. The Petrel needs a battery a year or so, the VR3 one every couple of months. Though I ran different algorithms, the deco profiles were very similar. (I use SAFTs in all my computers, though all will take an alkaline cell in a pinch.)

Now, both the Petrel and the Perdix run GFs, but the Perdix (now the main computer) runs 30/70 or 30/75 and the Petrel runs 40/85. The latter is my "get me out of the water quickly without much margin" computer and my backup, and I dive the other. (You can reset GF high on the fly so I can make the backup xx/70 any time.) I can also use GF99 to "ride the zero margin from the M-value safety curve" up if TSHTF.

Overall, I like the Perdix better, mostly because it doesn't catch on as many things and because I like its gas switch menu better, but they are otherwise so close to the same that it's hard to differentiate them.

You might have noticed that three or four of us now have commented that we dive with two tech computers. If you're going tech, you should strongly consider this. It beats +/- tables with a bottom timer or rec computer as a backup, hands down. Yes, I know, it's expensive, but as I believe Gary Gentile said..."Deep diving requires deep pockets."

(Edit: Clarified what I meant by safety margin.)

Last edited:
It beats +/- tables with a bottom timer or rec computer as a backup, hands down.
Not long ago I would have disagreed with it. It was not until I started doing it that I fully realized all the advantages.

Overall, I like the Perdix better, mostly because it doesn't catch on as many things and because I like its gas switch menu better, but they are otherwise so close to the same that it's hard to differentiate them.

You might have noticed that three or four of us now have commented that we dive with two tech computers. If you're going tech, you should strongly consider this. It beats +/- tables with a bottom timer or rec computer as a backup, hands down. Yes, I know, it's expensive, but as I believe Gary Gentile said..."Deep diving requires deep pockets."

Indeed. And a very useful breakdown of the features of each. The Perdix just seems to be the better computer. And for costing the same price, there's no question. What are your thoughts on AI as a tech diver? Now that I have decided on the Perdix, there is still the matter of buying the standalone or the AI version. I would probably never use it as a feature but could it potentially be useful?

And with regards to a second computer, could I use my rec computer (Cressi Giotto) or were you talking about rec computers being a bad idea and it would be best to own two Shearwater computers; one as the primary and the other as a back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom