Tech Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have my Deco software here either, but I'm sure if you added up the cost of just the gas for doing those 2 dives on OC, it will make CCRs look a lot more appealing :)
Perhaps someone could run these 2 dives in V-Planner and post the calculated cost of the OC gas that would be required?

(And I'm not trying to put down people that use doubles - OC Vs CCR is a very personal choice, and both are big commitments in $$, time, and Energy.)

So let's see...

First dive- 250 for 20 min, second dive 190 for 20 min

If the boat had a compressor for top up's I would need:

Set 130's @ 15/55= $182
40cf 35/25= $14
80cf 50%= $28
40cf 100%= $14

Total= $238

After the first dive, I could blow my doubles back to 2400psi, have plenty of gas for the next dive at around 17/35 and could get away with about $235

If they don't have a compressor, it would be:

Set 130's @ 15/55= $182
Set 85's @ 18/45= $100
40cf 35/25= $14
80cf 50%= $28
40cf 100%= $14

Total= $338

I used rough prices based on Fill Express. So YMMV. So in between $240 and $340 for your gas + boat fees. This is why I am buying a rebreather.

So let's see...

First dive- 250 for 20 min, second dive 190 for 20 min

If they don't have a compressor, it would be:

Total= $338

This is why I can't really understand the appeal of OC trimix diving. If I am spending US$338 for 40 minutes of fun, somebody better be taking some clothes off...

Dive Rite has had some issues with the first stage and the dry sealed ambient chamber and is I think on their third version of the design to resolve it.

I mostly added the comment as I have a technical diving friend who, against my advice, sold off her SP MK 20's and went with SR1's (to be able to dive something her shop sold) that she has had to send back 2 or 3 times now. The SR1 has lots of potential, the design is just not, in my opinion, mature quite yet.

One small point the SR1 is made by Sherwood not Dive Rite (Dive Rite makes the Hurricane a great reg for deep)

This is why I can't really understand the appeal of OC trimix diving. If I am spending US$338 for 40 minutes of fun, somebody better be taking some clothes off...

40 minutes of fun? More like 20 minutes of fun, followed by 70 minutes of boredom in 10ft increments :) That's a dollar to fun ratio of about $17/min. Better make the most of it!

Great thread folks!

As a recently graduated Tec diver I can safely say that spending cash is no problem. You've got the idea from the posts above and it's pretty much all true; You can spend and spend and spend. I know because I've now got a small showroom full of gear. Aside from the gear you buy there's the gear you'll change. Sure you like that Brand-X wing but you've been entertaining the idea of Brand-Y. Then there's that piece of gear where you KNEW you should have bought Brand-Z and have to upgrade. Then of course something new hits the market and even though your existng one is still miles away from old, you just have to have it.

Just be sure what you get out of Tec Diving is worth what you put in (and money is the least of what you put in).

Oh, and on the DM / Tec thingy; I'm presently in the PADI DM program. My Tec training was DSAT so I'm not an agent of GUE. DMing has absolutely zero benefit for Tec diving. If you want to take any Tec course offered by any agency just work, work, work on your skills. Graduating some class doesn't make you a better diver. Diving your face off will!

One small point the SR1 is made by Sherwood not Dive Rite (Dive Rite makes the Hurricane a great reg for deep)
Sorry I have no real idea where that brain fart came from. (Probably because the DR and Sherwood booths were side by side at the last show I attended.)

DMing has absolutely zero benefit for Tec diving. If you want to take any Tec course offered by any agency just work, work, work on your skills. Graduating some class doesn't make you a better diver. Diving your face off will!
Agreed.

Oh, and on the DM / Tec thingy; I'm presently in the PADI DM program. My Tec training was DSAT so I'm not an agent of GUE. DMing has absolutely zero benefit for Tec diving. If you want to take any Tec course offered by any agency just work, work, work on your skills. Graduating some class doesn't make you a better diver. Diving your face off will!

You guys are wrong. Once you get your DM you can pick up a part-time job helping to teach newbs how to dive which will result in:

a) enough cash to buy gas for a mix dive after 12 months of work
b) score some discounts at the LDS to buy expensive dive gear
c) impress one of the newbs with your fancy dive gear and with some luck pick up a sugar momma/daddy to help finance your addiction.

I only mentioned going into DM training because I will have to work at a diveshop to pay for my diving gear(Teaching doesn't pay much on its own, but gives me a ton of free time to dive and spend money diving...not a good combo). I know it has nothing to do with helping to become a better Tech diver. I am now debating about CCR......choices choices... Thanks for all of your advice!

I only mentioned going into DM training because I will have to work at a diveshop to pay for my diving gear(Teaching doesn't pay much on its own, but gives me a ton of free time to dive and spend money diving...not a good combo). I know it has nothing to do with helping to become a better Tech diver. I am now debating about CCR......choices choices... Thanks for all of your advice!

The DM training is awesome, don't get me wrong. It won't help you in your Tec course but it is pretty darn cool! The other day I helped a student get submerged when he was having difficulty. It took about 10 minutes but then he was able to join the class and did a great job. It was a very rewarding experience!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom