Tech Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are wrong. Once you get your DM you can pick up a part-time job helping to teach newbs how to dive which will result in:

a) enough cash to buy gas for a mix dive after 12 months of work
b) score some discounts at the LDS to buy expensive dive gear
c) impress one of the newbs with your fancy dive gear and with some luck pick up a sugar momma/daddy to help finance your addiction.

My drysuit (DUI TLS350) with all of trimmings was the single most expensive piece of equipment I've purchased (and it's the ONLY one I keep in my closet!).

Want to make a small fortune?

Start with a LARGE FORTUNE and then get into tech diving.

And if you really want to become broke, get yourself a compressor, mixing station and bank bottles like Jim L suggested!

This is why I can't really understand the appeal of OC trimix diving. If I am spending US$338 for 40 minutes of fun, somebody better be taking some clothes off...

Feel free to dive naked. :D

How much diving do you need to do though to really save money by buying a rebreather ?
Maybe some rebreather divers can chime in and tell us how they have so much more spare cash since they went CC ? :wink:

How much diving do you need to do though to really save money by buying a rebreather ?
Maybe some rebreather divers can chime in and tell us how they have so much more spare cash since they went CC ? :wink:
Diving a CCR on mix IS far more efficient and relatively cheaper than OC. But this only works if you DO dive a lot. The main benefit however is the relatively shorter time you spend hanging deco.....

So for more money spent, you have less hang time and more BT. You pay to play so to speak.:wink:

Diving a CCR on mix IS far more efficient and relatively cheaper than OC. But this only works if you DO dive a lot. The main benefit however is the relatively shorter time you spend hanging deco.....

So for more money spent, you have less hang time and more BT. You pay to play so to speak.:wink:

I read this a lot and know very little about CCR and do not see very many at all in the Great Lakes diving I do. I have only dove with a CCR diver once and his hang was about 20 min longer than mine??? The dives where 270' for 25min, any idea why his hangs where so long? He was using a VR3 I was using V-Planner.

Thanks
JT

Again I do not know much about a CCR. Does set point refer to PP?

Yes. Set point is the pO2 the rebreather is running at.

I read this a lot and know very little about CCR and do not see very many at all in the Great Lakes diving I do. I have only dove with a CCR diver once and his hang was about 20 min longer than mine??? The dives where 270' for 25min, any idea why his hangs where so long? He was using a VR3 I was using V-Planner.
Thanks
JT

If you had a pO2 of 1.4 on the bottom and the rebreather was set to 1.2 you would have a little less deco. Might also be that the VR3 was being overly conservative. (seems to be a common complaint)

... He was using a VR3 I was using V-Planner.

It could be his setpoint was not optimized for the dive or (more likely) the VR3 was too conservative. I dove a VR3 (OC) for a little over one year and found it too conservative. I ran the 'VPM' version and switched to 'backup tables' many times when it wanted to hold me down excessively compared to square profile VPM printed tables..... This was especially apparent in deeper trimix dives.

Once a more viable alternative came along, I switched and never looked back. Long live the X1!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom