Tech course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might give thought to an Intro. to Technical Diving course....these are usually 2 day programs and will cover some of the basics in prep for more advanced tech level courses. I know TDI / NAUI / SSI / DSAT all have these type classes. Even if you decide not to pursue technical diving after going through the class, will will come out a better diver. :wink:

From TDI:
"TDI’s Intro to Tech course is a new and welcome addition to curriculum of the world’s largest and most successful technical diving agency. Intro to Tech is intended to give experienced sport divers a simple, non-threatening glimpse at the techniques and skills used in technical diving. Participating in this course will give those divers a better understanding of the detailed planning and preparation required to make a successful and safe technical dive.

Intro to Tech is really a try it before you buy it course for someone who has heard a lot about tech and is wondering what all the fuss is about. But Intro to Tech is also worthwhile for divers who have no real intentions to go on to take a full tech class because the skills it focuses on – gas management, superior buoyancy and trim, situational awareness, and equipment selection – are useful in any form of diving. Intro to tech is also the perfect course for those already certified tech divers that haven’t been in the water for a while or just want a little help refining their skills.

”Intro to Tech performs an important supplementary function within TDI current course offerings”, stated Steve Lewis, director of product development. Lewis continued to say “Firstly it provides recreational divers an opportunity to assess and improve their basic diving skills in a structured and controlled manner, but does not require them to “go technical.” Secondly, it provides those divers who do wish to pursue more advanced diver training with a skill-set that will help them make the transition more smoothly. It may indeed be considered a warm-up for enrolment in some TDI programs.”

I second the motion. TDI, NAUI, and GUE all offer classes that introduce technical gear configurations, teach buoyancy and non-silting propulsion, and the higher degree of awareness and communication that is necessary for technical disciplines.

Hi,

First of all you have to look at where your diving is heading and what you need to get out of the Tech course.......

Most Tech courses teach Deco and Trim in the water, with that said your trim in the water is a big issue you need to be able to hold Deco stops at certain depths and not move in the water column.

Then you will need to look for a good instructor, it does not matter which agency you do your training with, the instructor makes the course.

Nick

I dunno about you, but getting a tech coarse sounds painful and unnecessary.

A tech course on the other hand...

Sorry :D

I would say that Rescue should be a prerequisite for tech training and diving. While most agencies don't specify it you owe it to yourself and your dive buddies to have at a minimum basic rescue training.

From there, I would find a good instructor and dive w/ them. Get an honest opinion of where you stand with your skills and devise a training plan from there.

I would say that Rescue should be a prerequisite for tech training and diving. While most agencies don't specify it you owe it to yourself and your dive buddies to have at a minimum basic rescue training.

From there, I would find a good instructor and dive w/ them. Get an honest opinion of where you stand with your skills and devise a training plan from there.

I agree. I didn't/haven't yet taken a rescue class and feel that I missed something along the way. It SHOULD be a pre-requisite for "tech" classes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom