Tech Instructors in NY / NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Bug Bit Me

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am at the stage where I am comfortable to start moving into Tech diving. The plan is to do Adv Nitrox / Deco procedures in 2011.

I have been speaking to instructors around NY (I want to do the course in cold water which is what I dive most of the time) and want to know if anyone has taken a course with Ted Masotti. He appears both experienced and knowledgable in our communications and what he has to say impresses me.

Thing is when I search his name on Scuba Board, I draw a blank. Any experience would be appreciated. (PM if you want to keep comments private).

I will probably ask for him to buddy with me on a recreational dive first so he can see me dive and I can get to know him better. Then if it suits both of us, we can line up a course.

I think he ran trips on the Ocean Explorer in Florida from time to time, doing instruction on the Oriskany. No personal experience of him though...

I have known Ted for a long time and consider him a friend, he has a wealth of experience to draw from. Sometimes though, as is so often these days, there can be a lot of irons in the fire. Be sure that your course(s) have exact dates and objectives.

Also in your area are Dave Oldham and Ernie Rooky, both are NAUI Tec instructors and dive and train exclusively in your area. Dave crews on the Independence and Ernie was one that helped recover the Doria bell last summer. Dave is exacting and meticulous, but always with a smile on his face and Ernie is relentless on the foundation skills.

They are both here on SB and you can track down their info on naui.com. Let me know if you need help and I can pm you the contact details.

Jeff

Wayne Fisch and Jason Fisch from The Scuba Connection are also in your area. Wayne is very active here on the board and does all his tech training in cold water. A few of us here on the board have trained with them and dive cold water all the time. My advice is contact everyone recommended and interview them. Find the instructor who's personality jives with yours.

I know Ted also. Used to work with him back in the day. I too consider him a friend.

The grandmaster Bernie Chowdhury is based out of NY. I'm planning on taking my courses with him. He has a website and will gladly send you all the information on his courses, including equipment requirements and overall costs.

Wayne Fisch and Jason Fisch from The Scuba Connection ~snip~
+1 & +1

I've trained with Jason & have dived with Wayne and both have exceptional skills, in the water and instructing (Wayne gave me invaluable advice and demonstration when we were diving). In my training, Jason needed the "patience of a saint" and he never seemed to be anything but patient! Demanding . . . yes! Hard azz . . . no! I've also witnessed Wayne training a tech class and he also demonstrated great skill and patience with his students. IMO, these are two top of the line instructors.

I'm in Texas now, but in 2011 when I need to complete my CCR Mod II, I'll be heading back to NJ for the class.

HTH

Wayne Fisch and Jason Fisch from The Scuba Connection are also in your area. Wayne is very active here on the board and does all his tech training in cold water. A few of us here on the board have trained with them and dive cold water all the time.

+1

And if you're as lucky as I was, while training with Wayne/Jason you'll get the added benefit of martini shooting video of your tech training. The best part is that, because Sean's on CCR you can hear him laughing on the video while your buddy is trying to kill you!

:shocked2:

While I'll admit filming can be very entertaining, it is also an invaluable training aid. We have been incorporating video into our classes more and more. It can also be extremely profitable as the blackmail possibilities are endless :D. Take the time to interview your instructors and if possible get in the water with them and see how they are.

While I'll admit filming can be very entertaining, it is also an invaluable training aid.

Indeed. Laughs aside, the time spent reviewing video with Wayne and Sean during debrief sessions post-dive was as valuable as any time spent in the water.

It can also be extremely profitable as the blackmail possibilities are endless :D.

PS - your truck is washed and tires have been Armor-All'ed. Did you want the floor mats shampoo'd too?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom