Technical dive shops in Tampa Bay Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any recommendations for good technical diving shops in the Tampa Bay Area? Or ones to avoid?
I'm new to St. Petersburg and am looking for a shop with good and knowledgeable instructors who I can work with as I grow as a diver. I'm interested in going the technical route (cave/wreck) so would like to find a place where I can comfortably head in this direction.

Thanks,
Karen

Karen18;

the only dive shop in the Tampa Bay Area that specializes in tech is EZ Scuba, most of the other shops cater to Open Water divers and also do some technical diving, EZ Caters to Tech Divers and also does standard Open Water training. the Shop owner is a PADI Master Instructor and a hard core Cave Diver, we have other PADI Master Instructors on staff and an IANTD instructor. everyone who works with the shop is required to be tech certified so that we practice what we preach. I'm one of the newest DM's on staff and I am IANTD trimix certified and have been to 150' in over head environment and 450' back into the devil system at Ginnie springs. if you want to train with the best, this is the shop. stop by, come dive with us, and if you like what you see take some classes.

DM Tom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great Tom, thanks for the info.
I had just heard about your shop today when I was up at Paradise Springs with a buddy. I was going to phone the shop tomorrow: Do you guys have a set of double LP 85's to rent? I was using 104's today and it was pretty brutal (I'm about 5'6" and the 104's were too long for me).
Thanks.

My back still hurts today from walking around with them on my back :) but mainly they were too long during the dive, and I had a hard time controlling my buoyancy.

lp104/108 are big boy tanks. there are at least 8 different sets of doubles in the shop I think, we also have side mount tanks, which based on your small frame you may want to try. I'm 6'1 220 and even I don't like the walk to the water with DBL LP108's and all the rest of my gear on.

come by the shop try out a set or a different configuration.

t.

I agree with Tom on EZ. If you're into tech that is probably the best shop in the Tampa area. They are also pretty good about doing diving outings. Most weeks the owner is just looking for a reason to go jump in a cave or the ocean and dive so all you have to do is ask and he is usually willing to go.

Fantastic, thanks. I'll try to stop into EZ tomorrow or Thursday after work.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2013 at 08:26 PM ----------

I'll bet you were dying in those 104's.

Are you calling me fat??

Karen;

did you ever hookup with the shop to advance your training.

we have a cavern class scheduled for the week of the 23rd with dives up at ginnie the 28th and 29th, which I intend to DM, plus get in a cave dive if I have the chance. the Cavern class is usually a lot of fun as we stay up in cave country over night at either the country inn or the Cadillac inn.

T.

Karen;

did you ever hookup with the shop to advance your training.

I've been in the shop a couple of times, yes. But I'm not looking to advance my training any more just yet, I just want to get out on dives. I was supposed to go up to Blue Grotto with them today but had to cancel because I've been sick all weekend. Hopefully we'll be able to arrange something else soon.

I was at the Cadillac Motel a couple of weekends ago. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom