Teen Diver Death on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haven't been able to find out anything other than he was diving with a group.

was out there today. conditions were great but boat traffic was high.

Doesn't say whether he was a free or scuba diver, or had a flag, does it?

The article stated he was free diving, but does not mention if he and his friends were using a dive flag. A very sad outcome.

Says free diver in the article, but nothing about a flag. All the comments want to crucify the boater that struck him. They say it is similar to a pedestrian struck by a car, but I've never seen a pedestrian suddenly pop up from under the pavement, nor have I heard of one struck while a few feet below it.

Divers are responsible to use a flag. Boaters are responsible to pay attention around divers, and in general to avoid obstacles on the surface. There's more information to know before considering where exactly the fault lies in this case. As a diver, though, I will always be cognizant when near an area that could have boat traffic. Free divers don't necessarily have a choice about when to surface, so they need to be extra certain of their safety.

Here is another article on the diver. Some of the guys I work with said they saw on the KHNL news that it was a scuba diver, I was trying to find some info on the web if that was true or not. One article does say it was a free diver though.

Autopsy Finds Teen Died From Propeller Injuries - Honolulu News Story - KITV Honolulu

Really unfortunate, I live right near the area.

Another, this one with a video.

http://kgmb9.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21758&Itemid=40

Says they were using dive flags and weren't in the channel. This one has an interview with his dive buddy. I'll definately be more cautious surfacing now though I'm always looking around at the surface while I ascend to see if any boats are coming. I've had a few pass almost directly overhead while diving at Makaha and once at Electric Beach when I was getting certified one dropped their anchor not far from us while we were on the bottom.

OK, here is a possibly newer story in the local newspaper;

Teen's diving partner recounts boating tragedy | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Not that I have any info about this particular incident; here are some thoughts I have to share.

If you are breath hold spearfishing with a float how long is the line attaching you to your float? At noon-ish in the islands there are tradewinds causing a surface current. If you intend to hunt at a depth of 60-70' a 100' line is maybe enough. There will be scope between you and the float; meaning the float is rarely directly overhead unless you are only hunting down current at the same speed as the float is drifting.

That said, when you are motionless at the surface (or swimming to a stationary buddy) all the flags will be 100' down current from the divers.

Another thing about breath hold divers in the Islands. The popular bullet floats for spearfishing do not all have legal size flags; more like 6"x6" instead of the 1'x1' required by law.

All I'm sayin' is why start the blame game with only limited information to go on?

He was a free diver and had a flag of his own apparently.

I've had a few pass almost directly overhead while diving at Makaha and once at Electric Beach when I was getting certified one dropped their anchor not far from us while we were on the bottom.
I've given up pulling a flag at E-Beach. I will pull one or tie it off at most sites, but the snorkel boats have a nasty habit of running over my flag and dropping anchor on top of me at E-Beach. Wish the DLNR would do something there. We have so many pictures of the Ko'olina boat sitting on top of flags. I just surface very carefully.

Some snorkeling arse set my tied flag adrift at Three Tables the other week too and I had to get a new one this week. :(

Sad that this happened, but hopefully this will make boaters more aware of divers and some good will come out of it.

DLNR will be cracking down more now.

I almost always go with my flag now after almost getting run over at portlock a few years ago... But spots with swim thrus I generally don't bother with a flag. Too lazy to swim back and get it I suppose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom