Teen Diver Death on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a very sad state. I know it comes down to human error.. and anyone could miss a float/flag but 3? I feel for the victim families and I feel for the boater that it appears was at fault. I don't know I could face myself after being involved in an incident like this.

Flags do not always keep you safe. Even inside the cove at Breakwater in Monterey, CA whick is always full of divers and classes I've had zodiac's plow over my float and flag. I never venture out to the outer cove [which by the way is beautiful diving] for the very reason.. too dangerous.

Too bad we don't do something to change/enforce marine laws so EVERY boat operator in well versed in flag/float/bouy rules. They should not be able to see boats to owners unqualified to operate them. At least that MHO... if on the other hand they know the law and choose to disregard it.. they should be held accountable for any incident. We'd see less of dive flag ignorance if we'd start prosocuting offenders. Again, that's my humble opinion.

Oh, and yes, the same should go for divers that ignore the laws.

Back
Top Bottom