Teenagers and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My youngest, certified at 13, now 15 got some serious cudos from his eight grade science teacher when they were discussing the principles of buoyancy. When asked how he know so much about the subject, he told the class he was a scuba diver. His peers were highly impressed as well.

My oldest (14) will hopefully finish his OW on Sunday. He passed the test last night.

My 13yo is set to get his certification in March, and my 9yo is upset because she's too young.

Unfortunately, my experience in getting certified with my oldest daughter (17 at the time) was less than pleasant. Rather than teach her self reliance and situational awareness, it just pointed out her current limitations in these areas and need to grow. She did end up passing the course, but was far from a good diver. It turns out that she didn't really care for it nearly as much as she expected she would.

My 13 year old, in the front blowing bubbles, during our OW class, me in the rear
OWClass3.jpg

About 3 weeks later at 80fsw doing our AOW off West Palm Beach, FL, displaying an empty shell he just found
George1a.jpg

My daughter turns 12 this February and we'll be at Atlantis in the Bahamas, so I'm hoping to get her started while we are there.

Divin'Hoosier:
Unfortunately, my experience in getting certified with my oldest daughter (17 at the time) was less than pleasant. Rather than teach her self reliance and situational awareness, it just pointed out her current limitations in these areas and need to grow. She did end up passing the course, but was far from a good diver. It turns out that she didn't really care for it nearly as much as she expected she would.

I paid for OW classes last year for my 20 year old step daughter, she passed her class, pool and check out dives in a quarry. She seemed to like it, but when we dove from our boat (inshore) aof NC, she was very anxious and uncomfortable, and hasn't been in the water since. She confessed to me that she really just wants to be able to go when she is on a cruise or in the islands and only high viz shallow reef dives.

I guess my original post that started this thread didn't take into account the desire and ability necessary to become a diver doesn't exist in everyone, teenagers or otherwise. My kids have been swimming and snorkeling since they were still in diapers, so comfort in the water was never an issue. So I know this first hand.

I have two teens - one age 16 who is a vacation only diver and one 14 who's up for a dive any time, as long it isn't "too early." Here's my 14 year old in Belize earlier this year:

Rat_Pup_2_Turneffe_Atoll_Belize_3.jpg

of course they can

ive met some very responsible & smart & capable 15yr olds and some very stupid & irresponsible 40yr olds

each person needs to be judged on their own individual merit

i applaude any care giver (parent unit or otherwise) that gives their child the support and means to try scuba

cheers

Absolutely, parents have to be honest with themselves about the saftey of the children.

I wish I had gotten certified when I was a teenager.

Back
Top Bottom