Teenagers and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just applied to colleges as well and I found that scuba diving really helped my chances of getting in. the colleges see that divers are dedicated to the sport and they like to that passion. not many teens dive either, so standing out from the crowd helps. i wrote essays about diving too and ive heard back from 5 of 10 of the colleges i applied to pretty fast. sounds like your son will get in because diving and marine biology are closely related, they will see he is familiar with the field.

My 17yr old recently finished his OW class. He took it as part of a phys ed class. Because it gets cold here next spring they'll take his class and the winter class for certification. Like Swampdogg's son my son also wants to go into Marine Biology. We're doing a liveaboard this summer so he can get some dive experience.

My younger son 14, wants to dive too. But my ex says no. The older one was told no too but his phys ed class was called aquatics not scuba diving. By the time the ex found out too late to change his sched. The younger one if necessary will do the same thing :D unless of course the ex agrees.

The older son loved the course and a couple of summers ago was in a program through the Shedd Aquarium here in Chicago for high school students. He spent a week doing research and snorkling in the Bahamas including a night snorkel. My son just wants longer bottom time. :wink:

Diving isn't for all teens. But if they have any interest I say yes. It can teach them so many things. It can also be a wonderful family activity.

Teaching kids can be challenging but also very rewarding. I've taught quite a few kids that had absolutely no problems with the idea of taking their reg out or clearing their mask which is more than can be said for some adults! Saying that I've also seen kids being forced into learning to scuba dive because their parents are already divers, they didn't enjoy the course & neither did the instructor.
Please don't force your kids into diving, let it be their choice

My 11 year son and I took the OW this year, he did not complete the ocean dives due to all the gear for cold water diving and the challanges of it. I have continued and now have my AOW and Nitrox and working on the rescue course. I am diving at least twice a week now.

Once my son is big enough to fit into a dry suit that my LDS has, he wants to finish the OW course. He turns 12 in a few days. I tell him about my dives and he is getting exited. He wants to see some octos. I have two younger boys that I hope will get into diving also and I think they will. My 14 daughter is to into water at all, though she wants me to take lots of pictures for her to look at.

My wife will be taking the OW this summer. Goody, I should have a family that dives we are going.

i'm lovin this thread, i'm a freshman in college and an assistant instructor. the school i go (Auburn University) to offers a scuba diving class for credit hours. the best thing my parents have ever given me was their support in my diving i was certified when i was 10 and i would definantly say that diving is an excellent sport for families (my family doesnt dive but i have trained families) if your family is overly compeditive and likes to argue it is even better, not competative and you cant yell at each other :)

Time for me to chime in.

We started as a family early in the year, taking our OW class and pool sessions in January in prep for a trip to St. Lucia in late February where we did our referral dives. Our son was 17 at the time. The whole idea was my wife's, who had spent a summer in Grenada over 30 years ago, diving daily with a reef ecology program.

I wasn't terribly keen on the idea, but went along for family "harmony" - good thing I did!

We had no intention of doing anything other than "resort" diving, but subsequently my son and I started diving back at home thanks to an invitation from an old friend.

Things continued from there and my son and I have completed our AOW and Dry Suit specialties. I've completed Nitrox, and he will do that in January - we are both doing the Ice Diving specialty in February. This is the one "sport" (hobby?) that he and I are on a equal footing. I can't keep up with him when we ski, off-road motorcycle, or climb. When we dive together, we have a lot of fun. As a buddy, he needs to stick to me like glue - his mother would have a fit if either of us came back without the other! His navigation sucks - another reason he stays close.

My wife did a few dives up here, but decided that she was a "warm weather/water look at the colourfull fish" diver - none of this "low vis, cold water, look at the trout" diving for her.

We'll all dive as a family again in Curacao in March - then again maybe not - my son and I are doing a wreck specialty while my wife looks at the fish!

My husband and son got certified together in 2004. My son was 17. My husband has gone way beyond because now he dives for work. But my son did get his AOW certification. He doesn't get to go much because he is a poor college student. But he and his Dad are going to West Palm in February. He's hoping to get some sort of credit in his environmental science courses. I got certified this past August. Our 16 year old daughter has no interest at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom