Tell me about reef hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a fan of the quick release snap shackles.

Me too, but one of their weaknesses is they are not as easy to connect one-handed as a bolt snap -- and the are significantly more expensive. They are the best choice for releasing under load which a bolt snap is not great at, especially one-handed.

Generally, snap shackles are easier to connect one-handed with a fixed rather than a swivel bail or eye, especially with any tension on the line. Bolt snaps are much better at connecting under tension because you can quickly hook it on to transfer the load.

All things considered, a bolt snap is probably a better option for a reef hook since there is no need to release it from your harness under load.

True, the snap shackles can be sort of difficult to close one handed. I have no problem with it due to sailing experience, but I realize others don't necessarily.

I have my hook set up in a waist pouch. I retrieve the shackle, secure it, then extract the hook and deploy. I feel that a quick escape is paramount if anything goes wrong. Also, a buddy can very easily release a diver-in-trouble using a snap shackle. (There was a thread around here about a female diver drowning on a hook :()

I daisy chain the hook line from the attachment point, finishing at the hook, then add a double end bolt snap to the hook, locking the last loop of the daisy chain. This way, the line is short, manageable, and tangle free. I can also deploy some line and re-clip if I don't need the full length, or secure the hook after unhooking from the bottom.

And please be mindful of hook placement :)

Back
Top Bottom