Tell me your best entanglement story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only truly been entangled, not just a brief snag, once
1) What lead to entanglement? Why was not noticed? Preventable?
This was on a solo night dive on the Capt Tony out of Boynton Beach, FL. I became entangled, involving my 1st stage, with some heavy, strong monofilament. I did not notice the line above me in the dark with my light. I suppose I could have been more careful in looking
2) What was the mental state throughout the ordeal?
As soon as I noticed the entanglement, I stopped and attempted to free myself, but was not successful. As I had two tools with me that could remedy the situation, I was not alarmed
3) How was it resolved? What tools used, were they adequate for the situation?
I removed my Trilobite line cutter from my waist belt, quickly cut the line, and was on my way. I only had to cut one side of the line and it slipped through whatever is was caught on. I was prepared to cut the other side if this was not the case.
4) What would you do differently?
Not much, pay attention to potential entanglement, particularly at night, when visibility is more limited.

I've carried 2 cutting tools forever and have never used them for anything but collecting fishing line off the reef or wreck. This is a good example why this is a very good practice.

MaxBottomtime, those images of drowned cormorants are troubling. Thank you for taking the risks to get those pics.

Those giant walls of netting look pretty dangerous. Please be careful! :)

Last edited:

A decisive swim into a fishing net and then tilt + rotation. More effort was required to achieve a more interesting entanglement including fins and ankles. Oh yes it was noticed. Preventable? No. Nothing would stop me getting in and entangled.

Joyfull.

It soon became apparent that a knife is the only way out. The net got hopelessly entangled around every protruding object (including any ankle mounted knives; I had mine on my arm though)

I would do it again, but slower and with better lights and cameras around.

ps. we did it in a pool first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifdjLToiphM and only then in a quarry. Now I am properly mentally prepared for a similar situation at sea. I would love to have more of this sort (controlled entanglements).

Entanglement is my worry when solo diving, so I always swim over or far from anything that looks dubious. Have been lucky so far I guess. Not much in the way of fishing line, etc. to deal with in Nova Scotia or here on the N. Gulf of Mexico in winter. I can only GUESS that it has to be a dumb move by a diver to get entangled. But I don't know.

I've been snagged up a few times on recovery dives or training for same, but we are tethered, carry redundant air and carry two cutting tools on a body harness (all gear can be removed for untangling or ditched if needed, and there's a 90% dressed backup diver ready to follow the line down.) The only other time was using a new search reel clipped to a down line for a circular search in a lake. The reel spooled out quick, and I had a cloud of line around me. My dive buddy, Captain Kathy, started toward me with shears, but I waved her off and got untied. The Chief would have killed me if we came back without that new reel.

This story is kind of funny. I was on a solo dive at Spanish Rocks Reef. A jellyfish landed on my head. In the process of flailing around trying to get the thing off my face I got good and entangled in my dive flag. I had to take my rig off under water to untangle everything. Other than the fact that my face was being stung to death I was pretty calm, lol.

Seems like it is such a big and scary potential problem: the entanglement.

Throughout my diving I have not had any problems, perhaps, I don't dive where people fish. Thus, tell me your story, I want to learn and raise my awareness.

Local pier muck dive site has fishing line everywhere. Hanging from the piers, linking piers together, linking the piers to the ground. viz is well non existent. I got hooked on my first stage. I've only ever got tangled there once years ago as a fairly new diver. Preventable with dive experience and Situational awareness since I've done a lot of dives there and never got tangled again.

Pretty embarrassed but calm. I knew my buddy would realize I wasn't following him anymore and come back to help pretty quickly which he did.

Buddy came back and cut me free with his line cutter.

Not much, better Situational awareness helps but at this site entanglement really is hard to avoid. Particularly if there is surge or bigger seas.

Thank you for sharing.

My BEST entanglement story...

I was diving the Californian Kelp forest and had heard all sorts of stories about the danger of entanglement. I decided to try it out. I put my feet/fins in and rolled to wrap the kelp around my legs and then hung motionless. The water movement and swaying of the kelp untangled me with no effort on my part.

I stuck my legs in and rolled then tried to kick myself free. Couldn't but when I got bored with playing I rolled the other way and it cleared easily. I decided if you don't panic and fight it.. you can probably clear yourself well.

Next dive I decided to see what happened if I hooked my tank stem in the kelp. I picked a good spot, dropped my shoulder and hooked my tank stem. A Hand appeared form above and pulled the kelp free. :hm: Waited found another good spot.. moved in caught the tank and tried to see if I could power through it.. A hand appeared from above and cleared it. :hm:

Near the end of the dive... tried again... and guess what .... A hand appeared and cleared it again!

So now I know what happens when you get tangled in kelp in California.. a Hand appears and clears it away :giggle: after the dive my buddy said "You were having a bit of trouble with the kelp on that dive weren't you?" I apologized and told him I would make sure to include that information in our pre dive brief in the future. Nothing like a good buddy :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom