Temp in Summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy as thick a wetsuit as you can find and afford. Temperatures will vary wildly with wind direction, sunshine and season. On a good day, late in the season, the topwater will be in the 70's, other times of year the top water can be, well, solid. Even late in the summer, temps below the thermocline can easily be in the 40's, about the best you can hope for is in the 50's.

jesstotheocean:
I was wondering what the temp in the summer is like in Lake Erie and the surrounding quarries & diving areas. I'm trying to decide how thick to buy my wet suit.

The best bet save your money on the wet suit,get a drysuit-makes the season last long and start early!
if you dive inland a wet suit is fine but you will out grow it as you find the Quarrys grow old and the wrecks go deep!~& cold!

A 6.5 deep sea farmer john should do fine, I went diving this weekend at Gilboa with Brian, and Penny. Brian and I dove dry suits, Penny had a 6.5 Deep Sea farmer john did alright for a 40 min dive in 40F water.

DMP:
A 6.5 deep sea farmer john should do fine, I went diving this weekend at Gilboa with Brian, and Penny. Brian and I dove dry suits, Penny had a 6.5 Deep Sea farmer john did alright for a 40 min dive in 40F water.

No one I know could do a wet dive for 40 min unless you were extremely shallow.

z969942:
No one I know could do a wet dive for 40 min unless you were extremely shallow.

I did a 35 minute dive in my 7mm to about 40 feet.

Ken

Keep it up Ken and you will be joining the ranks of us wimps that dive dry.

I don't know how you and Penny did it. It took one trip to Munising to get me to replace my two piece 7mm with a drysuit! Can you say "brisk surface intervals"?

diverbrian:
It took one trip to Munising to get me to replace my two piece 7mm with a drysuit! Can you say "brisk surface intervals"?
Or maybe you can say "to much overtime money."

Or maybe you could say "gear junkie."

Either way you say it drysuit diving is much more pleasant here in the North. Surface intervals are nicer, even though I dove the Smith-Moore up in Munising in a Scubapro S-TEK 7 mill and stayed pretty warm, I wouldn't trade my Andies DS2 in for another wetsuit.

Mitten Diver

Question, wouldn't you want to wait till you have learned bouyancy and trim in a wet before moving to a dry suit? Not always will one find themselves in a dry suit.

DMP:
Question, wouldn't you want to wait till you have learned bouyancy and trim in a wet before moving to a dry suit? Not always will one find themselves in a dry suit.
DMP you are correct that one will not always be diving in a drysuit. Even for those who do dive dry it can be a bit of relief to only have to slip on a wetsuit instead of having to don the drysuit. You learn that you can adjust your underwear for different conditions and as you use a drysuit you gain effeciency it putting it on and taking it off. I wondered what I had gotten myself into the first time I used my drysuit after purchasing it from a SB member. Thanks to Brian for getting me thru the orientation process of the suit and thanks to time for experienced gained in both donning/doffing and use of the suit.

During my research a number of SB members suggested using the suit to alleviate squeeze instead of using the suit for boyancy as championed by PADI. I found that by keeping my exhaust valve about 4 clicks from full open allowed me to vent the air that I had injected into the suit during the dive. I wear the suit very compressed and find that it is easier for me to manage the air bubble in my bc at depth. Mind you I said easier for me to manage, your results may differ. Getting neutral in the water column is the same principle though and weighting will certainally have to be changed when switching thermal protections. So you will have to spend several dives getting yourself dialed in for proper bouyancy. You don't want to find yourself swimming around picking up rocks to carry to try and adjust your bouyancy with. Although I know of at least one fellow who had acquired new tanks that needed to spend the time doing just that. I would rather spend my time dialing in my trim in the drysuit since I will dive in that most of the time. Those of us who choose to dive in the North have bought into the idea that it is just easier to adjust undies and weighting for each dive than to manage this against a wetsuit as well. Besides we have already spent the money on a drysuit.

Once you have dove the drysuit you will find yourself reaching for it on most of your dives and as someone who started their diving career in Munising I could hack the diving in my 7 mill S-TEK with hood and gloves. It is nicer slipping into the water without the sudden rush of cold water and then enduring the surface interval just to slip it back on again for the second dive typical of a wetsuit. Once you dive a drysuit you learn appreciate the advantages that it provides to you. If you buy one you will see what I mean.

Mitten Diver

Back
Top Bottom