TENDONITIS. How can I make it go away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orange_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i've got a nice case of tennis elbow as well as pain where the bicep connects with the elbow if that makes any sense. going on a couple months now. too many pullups too soon.

ive read all about rest, ice, stretching, massage, etc etc...the medical community seems to be in agreement only in that there's nothing you can actually do to help cure this.

does anybody have some old-school (or new) home remedies they've figured out that will actually work to get rid of this?

thx to all who respond.

About 500 mg of Naproxyn Sodium once in the morning and once before you go to bed.

The usual prescription is ice, antiinflammatories, and rest. If the symptoms are persistent and severe despite several weeks of that, cortisone injections can be used. But they have a nasty side effect, which is that they can weaken the inflamed tendon and increase the chances of rupture.

In my personal experience of elbow tendonitis, it took about six months for it to go away altogether.

yeah, i had a shot done already before i read up on that. didn't really help. i used to use advil, then switched to aspirin. i don't like to do that for more than a few days tho so only on days that it feels particularly aggravated -- which also happens to be diving days i throw my doubles around or get fills. i ice also.

any difference in your opinion between ibuprofen and aspirin?

i'll try the Naproxyn Sodium mike.

so Naproxyn Sodium is aleve...just found that out...

so add that to the question, is it any better than aspirin or ibuprofen and why?

I like the NS because it works and doesn't seem to cause the same stomach problems that aspirin does.

Mike

I got a cortisone shot for my tennis elbow last Feb and it was great until after my trip to Galapagos in June. I've had 2 more shots since and none have been as effective as the first. Ibuprofen and Aleve do nothing. Tylenol helps. I used to have tendinitis in my Achilles but I went for PT for that. And I did a lot of stretching. I even bought this heel stretcher thingy from the PT place so I could use it at home. That was the only thing that really worked. Just yesterday I printed out some stretching exercises for my elbow and I hope they work. The only problem I see is that these exercises rely just on manual manipulation. If there were some kind of tool, like that foot stretcher thing I bought, that would help me to increase the range of the stretch, I think that would help.

Sorry to say but this problem will be there for a long while, I've had that tendinitis in the shoulder for 8 months, you can't just be on medication for that long.

I would not take Aspirin, it's pretty hard on the stomach, at least use the coated variety that dissolves after having passed through the small intestine.

Massage, gentle stretching, really light exercise and rest seem to help. My mouse wrist has been out for 1.5 years but slowly getting better.

Back
Top Bottom