TENDONITIS. How can I make it go away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

man this thread doesn't give me much hope for a speedy recovery. i've started rubbing in a 10% menthol based compound a couple times a day. seems to help with the ache but i doubt it will have any permanent healing benefit.

I feel for you. I have developed achilles tendonitis, and since not walking is not an option, there's not much I can do except pop vitamin I, stretch as much as possible, and hobble when I first get out of a chair.

Two other things you may want to try.
1) Ice massage. Take a paper cup and fill it 1/2 with water and freeze it. Then, peel way the top half of the cup to expose the ice. Rub that directly on the inflamed area for 7 minutes. It is intense for the first 2-3 minutes, but then it numbs out.

2) Either purchase a Cho-pat style brace for tennis elbow, or wrap the upper forearm snugly with an ace wrap. This will prevent a complete contraction of the muscles in the forearm which will help with the healing. Wear this whenever you are doing things that aggravate it.

If icing doesn't help, you may need to switch to heat at this point. Ice is usually best in the first 72 hours of irritation/injury. After that heat for 20 minutes can be effective. Tendinitis is a bear, and with as chronic cases as yours seems to be, not everything works for everybody. People will respond to treatments differently.

I got one of those braces. It works pretty good when I remember to wear it. I was feeling better and stuck it in the closet. Now I have to look for it again. That ice massage sounds like a good idea too. thanks.

thx -- already been ice-cupping and bracing...nothing seems to help. i'll try heat now but not holding out any high hopes. just gotta give it time i guess.

maybe dive it off... :D

I found the brace helped alot with mine. Bummer was it was my right elbow and I drive a stick shift. I had to rethink shifting a bit, but I finally found relief.

Funny thing, I had to have knee surgery, so I had to stop spinning....and damn, the tennis elbow went away too. Must have been aggravating the elbow by not keeping my arms loose or something.

All above, on the money. Tendinitis is a mean thing. and if you get to teh cortisone state, it will become less and less effective with every shot. A good support to give you some help, don't take the pain med as a constant, that is bad too, and just ease up on the elbow. It's really all you can do. I have had is in elbow, wrist, ankles, and shoulder. (A-league softball player). It bites. Just tough it out for the ages it takes to heal. But note, if you don't give it some reat it will not ever heal up. Great news huh?...

I have been dealing with it for upwards of a year. Just recently, it has gotten much worse. I tried a full elbow brace with a prescription (dont remember what it was) both really didnt work. When I went back to the doctor, she said I should try the forearm band (not the full elbow brace) and wanted me to try a prescription rub - Voltaren. That combination seems to work the best (with Tylenol PM at bed time) for me. . .

Since she handed me two tubes, I have no clue how much this stuff costs.

Buy yourself a "Tennis Elbow Strap" make sure it has a pad for extra pressure applied to the Brachial Plexes Nerve ( top of forearm just below the elbow) Wear this constantly and hold off on the workouts. Just do legs and cardio. Also take Aleve it is a pain killer which has Naproxan an anti inflamitory. Follow the directions)

I take two naproxen (generic OTC) each morning andit seems to be controlling mine.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom