TENDONITIS. How can I make it go away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is much better. I think it was the way I was sleeping.

If you got a Cortizone shot and took some anti-inflamatory medicine over six months, it became a chronic one. A Cortizone shot is only a pain relief, not for a cure.

You might try some aqupuncture if any good oriental doctor is nearby you. You eventually need to have an operation. It won't go away.... Don't waste your time.

I went through the same path....

I ended up with the same thing. But actually got it from diving lol. It is caused by any repetitive motion so the constant swimming motion was my enemy. Then I got it in my right hand from mousing. So I know where u r. If you looking for natural help here is what I found. Take the glucasimin chritondin?? minerals. I will admit after doing the 30 days of that it has helped alot. Its still there but I dont feel the pain as much. And now I ve added joint md and turmeric to my vitties. I keep reading up on stuff for it. Turmeric is a mineral found in curry. You can get it at walmarts so its not expensive. Studies have found it too helps with arthritis and joint issues. As well as memory. I still get the morning stiffness and the popping in my fingers but it seems to have helped with the fluids and smoothness in the joint its self. The problem with turmeric, dont hold in ur hand very long stains yellow lol and be sure and eat something with it. It does have a bit of tummy upset til you used to it. Im still trying it out only been 2 weeks. But just some suggestions.

To address a few things that have come up:

Cortisone is not a pain reliever; it is a powerful antiinflammatory agent that actually DOES affect the underlying process of injury. But it doesn't always work, particularly if there is ongoing irritation (in other words, if you can't rest the injured part).

There is no surgery for tendonitis. There can be surgical procedures to release adhesions, if you end up with them (rare). Bone spurs and other anatomical problems that can cause tendon irritation can also be addressed surgically, but simple overuse tendonitis is not a surgical disease.

Aspirin is a very good antiinflammatory agent and painkiller, but it has two rather nasty side effects: It powerfully inhibits platelet aggregation (part of the clotting system) and it also causes stomach bleeding. Having an ulcer in your stomach when you also don't clot is not a good thing :) Aspirin can also have significant toxicity if overused. The OTC NSAIDs like ibuprofen and naproxen are much more benign, although they can all cause stomach ulcers, and if used heavily over time, can cause kidney damage as well.

Acupuncture is a pain relief modality, and sometimes a very good one, but does not address the underlying process of injury. So, you get pain relief but don't heal any faster.

Inflammatory connective tissue problems like tendonitis and fasciitis tend to be stubborn and hard to resolve, particularly if you don't get rid of the irritant stimulus that caused them in the first place. And since none of us wants to stop slinging dive gear for several months . . . Well, that's why they make NSAIDs!

I had tenosynovitis in my wrist several years ago and in my case, there was a surgical option, called DeQuervain's release, to help correct it... the difference between this and tendinitis is the tendon itself being inflamed and the restraining sheath (the band that keeps said tendon from popping out of your body) being inflamed.

Both have the same symptoms and general treatments so it's impossible to say which one you could have... but the real solution for this type of inflammation is to immobilize the affected area, allowing anything inflamed to naturally return to normal over time. Needless to say, with a repetitive motion injury, you got it in the first place because you in no way, shape or form, can immobilze it. Thus, enter NSAIDs into the picture. And, as you have read, are not a long-term solution.

I also did the cortizone shots for a while and eventually they got to the point (just like anything else) of not working after being used so many times. Eventually pain killers took the place of most NSAIDs but while you might not feel anything, they generally don't have the anti-inflammatory effect, which compounds the problem. Just be cautious.

So, over the years, I've found a couple of things that have helped me... first, glucosamine with MSM. (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) Yes, I know... it's primarily for joints or cartilidge... but it beneficial. These compounds are also naturally occuring and not likely to cause problems like NSAIDs. If I remember my early days of researching (it was almost ten years ago) I remember glocosamine also acted as a lubricant, which helps reduce the friction tendons encounter. Keep in mind, products like this are not marketed towards things like tendinitis so you have to think outside the box... remember what rogaine started off as?

OK, next... I also use Emu oil on my wrist. Another anti-inflammatory product, only it is topical, and can pretty much be used as often as necessary... Only problem I found was that it is particularly messy, but definitely worth dealing with the mess. (Clean it up with baby wipes.)

I'm not making any claims, just telling you what worked for me...

Ken

Acupuncture is a pain relief modality, and sometimes a very good one, but does not address the underlying process of injury. So, you get pain relief but don't heal any faster.

Yes and No...

There are many successful evidences with an acupuntrue. It isn't only limited in a pain relief, but also it actually heals. It is very common medical treatment in the oriental medicine, especially orthopedic area. I am not sure how many oriental doctors and medical schools that are teaching an acupuncture in US you experienced though. IMHO acupuncture skill in US is a gimmick status at this moment. Like a western medical school, it canÃÕ be learned within four years.

Yes, it is true that acupuncture takes very slow process compared to the western medical process because it uses our body healing process. However, it heals and at least makes the problem under the control.

I have had a lot of sport injuries and had to be dependent on many orthopedists and oriental medical doctors. I can say that acupuncture worked much better than a PT or surgical treatment depending on the problem. Recently, oriental medical field is also using MRI and CT Scan to have more detail information. So, it isnÃÕ like to see the patient and do something without any clues.

Here is another true story that I experienced recently. I have a facial pain for 15 months and had to see eight doctors (three ENT, two neurologists, three dentists) to find out the problem. I had two MRI, two CT scan, and neurological test done. There was No hope except 800mg NSAIDs three times per day. Finally, I saw an oriental doctor and took care of the problem within three therapies. Am I completely healed? Nope, not yet. But, at least it is under the control. It is getting better and I can live without any NSAIDs. Believe or not, it happened ONLY with two needles....

I am not trying to argue acupunctureÃÔ effectivenss with my own story. Acupuncture is already another medical field in the oriental world with the western medical treatment. Many orthopedists also recommends an acupuncture treatment before having any surgical treatment.

Back
Top Bottom