terrible reflection into 4" NAUTICAM dome with 9-18mm and OM-D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nudibranco

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tavolara marine park - Coda Cavallo - Sardinia -
# of dives
2500 - 4999
mmm I just see this terrible reflection every time the light shines into the port... any solutions ...advice??
sad.gif

Attachments

• inout web.jpg
    inout web.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 457
I had the same problem when shooting into the sun. I coloured the letters with a black felt tip pen and it solved the problem.

yes, its a problem shooting into light. But it also happened when I had the E-PL3 in the Oly housing with the 9-18mm housed in the ZEN Dome. The same reflection as you showed in your post in the Nauticam housing with the Nauticam Dome. So I while a problem above water, not really a problem underwater.
In fact its true also with Ikelite domes when I had a Canon DSLR. Either you live with it for those shots and do post editing or perhaps like someone stated blacken out the writing on the lens with a black pen.

I had the similar reflection with 10bar semi dome and 7-14mm when shooting jackfish school in dark. I'm not sure whether incorrect strobe position or rfelection from the jackfish.
Here, you can read @vario ..... on the bottom of the picture.

jackfish_Tulamben.jpg

Either that, or use a simple step-up or step-down ring that any decent camera shop should carry or any amount of them on ebay.
It's not a time for panic people, just think outside the box?

Olympus makes a shade ring that screws onto the lens.

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-8090014.jpg

This is not an issue that can be corrected with a shade ring or step-down ring. The shade ring is used to prevent the camera flash from reflecting back into the lens when using fiber optic strobes. Most ports have a shade and some lenses like the 7-14 zoom used in the attached photo have attached lens hoods. This is a result of a strong light source entering the port, reflecting off the lens and the off the dome back into the lens. It occures most in very shallow water with plastic ports and ports that are not very clean or have spots. You can reduce the problem by shooting at a downward angle in very shallow water and keeping the lens pointed away from the sun.

Phil Rudin

thanks to unclebob as this seems a nice cheap way to prevent the inside of the lens from showing up. Probably a stepup ring that does not interfere with the port itself should stop most reflections and should be cheaper than the Olympus made ring. Thanks to Phil for the practical positioning of the shooting that should prevent the light bouncing in and creating the dreaded effect!!!

Back
Top Bottom