testing brand new regulators prior to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all who replied about testing the regulator first. I guess it's common sense to test it out first but I just wasn't sure given the "brand new" aspect of it. For example, you wouldn't take a brand new car to a mechanic to get it tested first, right?

Anyway, the LDS can charge whatever they want for whatever service they offer. And as a consumer I'll make my own choices as well. I'm sure we can all meet in the middle ground somewhere. :)

And your support of the $110 charge to assemble and check out a new regulator is just incredible. What you as much as admit you are supporting is the idea that an LDS that has lost a sale to some competitor is justified in grossly overcharging customers who had the audacity to take advantage of a better deal.

The right price is "what the market will bear". If it's too much the buyer is free to say "no". Nobody has a "right" to anything at any particular price.

flots.

The right price is "what the market will bear". If it's too much the buyer is free to say "no". Nobody has a "right" to anything at any particular price.

flots.

No "rights" involved here. Just a big red flag - Some LDSs (perhaps many) will take advantage of customers when they get a chance or think they can teach a customer a lesson. They may act like they just want to be your friend and do right by you but they can not be trusted.

And new divers are their prime target. BEWARE

And then they wonder why they continue losing ground to internet retailers who are mostly too busy selling merchandise to engage in silly, business damaging scams with unwary customers.

For example, you wouldn't take a brand new car to a mechanic to get it tested first, right?. :)

If you think about it, even new cars need a state inspection safety sticker by a certified inspector where ever I have lived. I would also expect that before you sign a big check for a car that you have taken it for a test drive and popped the hood and kicked the tires a couple of times.

If you think about it, even new cars need a state inspection safety sticker by a certified inspector where ever I have lived. I would also expect that before you sign a big check for a car that you have taken it for a test drive and popped the hood and kicked the tires a couple of times.

Many states do not require inspection stickers for cars.

But, I always test new regulators, serviced regulators and new to me equipment in the pool or a controlled place.

N

And then they wonder why they continue losing ground to internet retailers who are mostly too busy selling merchandise to engage in silly, business damaging scams with unwary customers.

As a "Free Market" kind of guy, I wouldn't care if the shop said service was $1,000. The customer is always free to choose other options.

The market will eventually reach a balance point (if it hasn't already). The online dealers will beat each other senseless in a race to the bottom on profit margin and a race to the top on sales volume. Many will fail, leaving only a few of the biggest. In the process the largest of them will drive manufacturer's profit margin down, taking out some of the less solvent and more desperate manufacturers.

A lot of LDSs will close, leaving those that can be profitable without significant equipment sales, and will end up with service, training and tank fills, but these will be at higher prices.

Just like with Zebra mussels, it won't be any sort of horror, it will just be "different."

flots

Thank you for your fairly clear expression of what is wrong with too many local dive shops. No one asked a shop to do work for free as you seem to want readers to believe. And your support of the $110 charge to assemble and check out a new regulator is just incredible. What you as much as admit you are supporting is the idea that an LDS that has lost a sale to some competitor is justified in grossly overcharging customers who had the audacity to take advantage of a better deal.

You should be ashamed.
Nope..Not ashamed at all..As I pointed out if the LDS touched that regulator they now "own it. So if anything is wrong,threads stripped,anything scratched the owner of the regulator will want the LDS to make it right. Even if the LDS did not damage it, that it came in damaged from whereever they brought it..The OP can even use our pool 1 time at no charge to test it when they come in to pick it up.. The OP said it was purchased at Leisure Pro..LP sells that regulator at the same price a LDS does, without any shipping costs..They are an authorized dealer for scubapro..what the purchaser lost was any "extras" that could have been had from the LDS. AT THE SAME PRICE. Here, the OP would have received a complete assembled tested regulator. We even throw in a free regulator bag. Pool time for customers that buy their gear here is FREE at any time during store hours, we have our own indoor heated pool onsite. Purchase elsewhere it can be $50. per hour. Purchase a regulator,bcd,computer from us during a ow or advance class and the course if FREE..These are extras that purchasing online cannot provide.

Nope..Not ashamed at all..As I pointed out if the LDS touched that regulator they now "own it. So if anything is wrong,threads stripped,anything scratched the owner of the regulator will want the LDS to make it right. Even if the LDS did not damage it, that it came in damaged from whereever they brought it..The OP can even use our pool 1 time at no charge to test it when they come in to pick it up.. The OP said it was purchased at Leisure Pro..LP sells that regulator at the same price a LDS does, without any shipping costs..They are an authorized dealer for scubapro..what the purchaser lost was any "extras" that could have been had from the LDS. AT THE SAME PRICE. Here, the OP would have received a complete assembled tested regulator. We even throw in a free regulator bag. Pool time for customers that buy their gear here is FREE at any time during store hours, we have our own indoor heated pool onsite. Purchase elsewhere it can be $50. per hour. Purchase a regulator,bcd,computer from us during a ow or advance class and the course if FREE..These are extras that purchasing online cannot provide.

I did not think you would be. I just said you should be.

You are presenting weak excuses to cloak grossly inflated charges that are only applied to a few customers who gained the ire of the LDS and, thereby endorsing the practice. So, it is OK to give a customer a free regulator bag to induce the sale (what do you think LP offers) and then screw them later if they piss you off after you have them hooked.

It is a bad business practice all too common in LDSs - apparently including yours.

2-cents is always cheap on forums so here is mine echoing a lot of earlier posters:

Having spent time in a different industry where mail order and retail have this same challenge, I took the opportunity to make a new customer and get referrals from people who purchased mail order rather than from me. Marketing and advertising is about getting the opportunity to close the sale. If I could get a mail order purchaser into the store I made a customer by providing good service, advice, and reasonably priced service. They then told their friends. Additionally, there is a lot more mark up in the accessories and goodies.

$110 is too much to assemble a regulator. Watch this <3 minute video How to Assemble a Scuba Diving Regulator - YouTube Unless there is something that is not apparent from your description, such as the LDS doing much more than assembling or maybe measuring pressures, I would be a little careful with that shop.

Testing - Yes! Before you travel to dive or dive under significant conditions get the regulator, gauges, secondary, BCD inflator, etc. underwater and not only test their function but get used to them. Borrow a friends pool, jump in a lake, etc. I don't want to get out on a boat and go "Dang!"

Paul

I guess I'll add my $0.03...... $110.00 is way on the high side for sure.... $30.00 - $40.00 is more in line as fair...

If I was the dive shop , I'd point out to the customer that... You should have come see me after looking on line... Most times I can match or at least come very close to their price, And I throw in the extra's like.. Putting the stuff together and making you happy.... Next time would you think about giving us a chance for your business ....

Jim....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom