Tests for Nitrogen Narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaltim Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there, very new to the forum. I'm a recently qualified PADI OWSI and have a number of students keen to do their Advanced Open Water. Does anyone know of a good test to do for the effects of narcosis on the deep dive? I've been told to use a simple Recreational Dive Planner calculation but it's hard to tell whether they are narced or just not good with tables.

Note that every time I've done a narcosis test (calculating deep stop times, writing my name/address) I've been faster at depth than on the surface - which could mean I function better when I'm narced (and would explain the need for beer).

KTD

KTD

Welcome to ScubaBoard!! I just did my AOW last month and for my test, the instructor gave me an old cylinder style bicycle chain lock (the kind where you line up the 4 numbers). It was well used and the numbers were so faded from salt and sun, I had a hard time seeing them on the boat. When we got to depth (100 ft), I couldn't see them at all! My instructor then gave me a math problem (9X450) which I solved in seconds. He then shrugged, gave me the "OK" and we continued the dive. Not much of a test or lesson learned.

As far as the beer goes, I'd like to quote one of my favorite philosophers, Mr. John Blutarsky:

"Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the *********** Peace Corps."

Best of luck to you

I had always heard of untying a knot or something to that effect. I would not like the 9x450 math problem.

KTD

Welcome to ScubaBoard!! I just did my AOW last month and for my test, the instructor gave me an old cylinder style bicycle chain lock (the kind where you line up the 4 numbers). It was well used and the numbers were so faded from salt and sun, I had a hard time seeing them on the boat. When we got to depth (100 ft), I couldn't see them at all! My instructor then gave me a math problem (9X450) which I solved in seconds. He then shrugged, gave me the "OK" and we continued the dive. Not much of a test or lesson learned.

As far as the beer goes, I'd like to quote one of my favorite philosophers, Mr. John Blutarsky:

"Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the *********** Peace Corps."

Best of luck to you

Not to mention the fact that your level of narcosis is evaluated by someone that is affected by it too.

I have read about something you can try to test someones level of narcosis, I dont know if it works, havent tried it. Before the dive you agree on the following, at some point you hold up two or three (or four) fingers, your buddy has to respond with holding up with a number of fingers that is one less or one more. Do this a few times and see how it goes.

So, 2 -> respond with 1 or 3 or 3 -> respond with 2 or 4 etc

If someone tries this I'd love to know if it works! :D

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've never heard of the bike chain one, it sounds good. I have heard of the "fingers plus one" trick, usually for tech divers to test each other during their dives - if your buddy takes too long to respond or answers incorrectly you need to think about heading up. I'm sure I saw somewhere a laminated piece of paper with 30 (or so) circles on it numbered one to 30, the trick (I think) was that the student had to touch each circle in order and they were timed at the surface and at 30m plus - you can not only monitor the time but the accuracy.

I have also heard of tying a bowline knot, but there are many people who can't do it on the surface so it's a difficult one at depth. Perhaps I could take down a Rubik's Cube?

As Sheck33 said, as the instructor I'm also affected by narcosis at the time, in my case it's unfortunate because narcosis for me takes the form of severe anxiety - guages aren't working, regulator not giving enough air etc. I now know what it is so I spend a few minutes concentrating on guages and dive calculations until it passes. It usually goes away within a minute or so, and if I do several deep dives the affects reduce the more I dive (however as most studies seem to show, you're still narced but don't notice it so much - the same way drinkers get after lots of practice...).

Anyway, thanks again, will see what else comes up and continue to monitor the board.

Cheers,

KTD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom