Texas divers - your thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seefourdc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I'm new to scuba diving and will finish my OW certification beginning of next month. My wife is a NAUI divemaster with a couple hundred+ dives logged and some pretty serious experience. We had a plan worked out for most of this year wherein she would help me get experience but she got pregnant!!! (Which is absolutely amazing and an unexpected miracle for us, but that's another point). I'm based out of East Texas and was wondering if you guys had some suggestions as to how I could maximize my opportunities to get some experience in more challenging environments and not hemorrhage money. (Which matters a lot more now that there is a baby coming!)

I appreciate any suggestions. These boards seem to be a wealth of information that helped me get over-educated for every step of the scuba process. (Also the prodding from my divemaster wife lol :wink:)

Search and monitor this group and it will answer your
questions:

Texas

Also, consider asking to have your post moved to the Texas
forum. You'll probably get more responses that from people
that know the local area.

Hey Billy thanks a lot for the feedback. I guess I should say our plan was to slowly progress me through more and more complicated dives so by the end of the year we could do some really fun stuff before the season was over. I'll keep reading this forum and keep researching I think!

Athens and Blue Lagoon are probably the two closest quarries to you. Lake Tyler peridocially has divers in it. You can search the first two fairly easily. I think Blue Lagoon will be cheaper.

Best wishes to you and your new addition.

There are a few of us out here in the boondocks. Good luck with your upcoming OW Cert and the new kiddo too.

Lake Tyler was full of vegetation when I dove it 2 years ago. My wife DID NOT enjoy the experience but I rather enjoyed it. Being new to diving you would probably enjoy Athens as there is a ton of stuff to look at, it's deepest point is about 30' so don't expect and deep diving experience there.

I don't know how far "East Texas" actually is, but Lake Murray in Oklahoma is a pretty popular spot for many divers "out thataways". The challenge is visibility, but it's usually okay. Some good slopes and significant depth. As others have said, keep watching this forum and you can stay current on what diving activities are going on. Most times, folks issue a "y'all come along" invitation.
Congratulations on the new arrival, but I'll warn you...diving activities might take a BIG backseat to other things once that little one gets here. Threre's a reason why I was 47 before I started diving. I had to wait until my kids were off to college!

Thanks for all the input guys!!! I actually live in Tyler TX so Athens is practically in my back yard which is good. I'm sure I'll have to frequent Lake Tyler and Athens for awhile to conserve money, but at least I'll have my own rig so those expenses won't be that bad! I will definitely keep up with this board to try to meet up with folks from the area. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom