TG-4 is housing recommended for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I used a Nikon AW1 for about 5 trips over a 3 year span -- it took beautiful shots, but it died on my last trip. I'm sure I wasn't as careful as I should have been.

I've just purchased a TG-4 and am debating on whether I should get a housing (likely the PT-056).

At this point, all I do is snorkeling (although I do manually dive down from time to time to get closer shots) -- is a housing overkill for this use case or would it provide any extra protection?

The ability to add strobes, etc. is a nice avenue, but I'm not informed enough to know how much those would help my snorkeling shots.

Thanks for any opinions!

josh

Hi Josh, I have a TG-4 and it can take decent photo's in good light. I really don't think you would need either the housing or the lights for snorkeling. The extra size and complexity would have limited value in my opinion. I have a housing for mine and use most of the time since I dive a lot more than I snorkel.

Having said that, the case will provide extra protection but I think just making sure all the watertight doors are latched and in good shape would be all I would do.

I have a TG-2. When I'm swimming/snorkeling/shallow diving, I don't use a case for it.

However, it's important to follow the exact instructions & I'd also recommend backing up all of your photos every day...just in case of a catastrophic event. I don't think you'll have a problem if you're careful, but it's good to take precautions.

Back
Top Bottom