TG Camera/ M52 air lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just started using my new M52 air lens. My question is do you screw it on before or after becoming submerged ? I found several "spots" on some shots that I assumed were bubbles.

I just started using my new M52 air lens. My question is do you screw it on before or after becoming submerged ? I found several "spots" on some shots that I assumed were bubbles.
Found the answer. Burp the lens.

Most screw it on before the dive, then once in the water you remove the lens and wipe away any air bubbles before replacing it. It is known as “burping the lens.”

Found the answer. Burp the lens.
Do you mind telling me where you found the answer, please? I have over 200 dive with this lens and I've never burped it. I do burp the M52 120° lens but not the air.

Do you mind telling me where you found the answer, please? I have over 200 dive with this lens and I've never burped it. I do burp the M52 120° lens but not the air.
It’s towards the end of the product overview video on this page:

perhaps you could try it and see if there is a difference? Please let me know if there is.

Also, look at the last product being sold towards the bottom of the page - a “no burp o-ring kit” for the m52.. although I’m interested that you have never had any problems not burping. I’m very interested and if there is a quality difference between burping/not burping.

Add a No Burp O-ring​

This O-ring kit allows you to eliminate burping M52 lenses underwater on your TG camera housing. It allows you to pre-seal water from a rinse bucket and eliminates the need to unthread your M52 lens underwater to “burp” the lens. This O-ring also allows you to shoot split shots (over/under) with a wet lens on your TG housing.

It’s towards the end of the product overview video on this page:

perhaps you could try it and see if there is a difference? Please let me know if there is.
It will be week after next, but I'll try it. I can't believe that I missed it with all the times I've watched it.

It's important to note that Backscatter has released two versions of the M52 Air Lens. The original version had very small vents, which could be blocked with the use of the "No-Burb" O-rings. The new version has larger vents, and the "No-Burp" O-rings do not work. If TTPaws has the newer version, with larger vents, the lens may flood on it's own so burping was not needed.

And yes, the O-Ring does allow you to shoot over/Under shots, you are still trying to do it with a 4" dome.

It's important to note that Backscatter has released two versions of the M52 Air Lens. The original version had very small vents, which could be blocked with the use of the "No-Burb" O-rings. The new version has larger vents, and the "No-Burp" O-rings do not work. If TTPaws has the newer version, with larger vents, the lens may flood on it's own so burping was not needed.

And yes, the O-Ring does allow you to shoot over/Under shots, you are still trying to do it with a 4" dome.
Looks like I got the lens in May of 22 so it might be the newer one. Almost all of my dives with it are at night so I may never see a small bubble escape. thanks for the update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom