Tg5 after s110

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tippytoes12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everybody

I would be so grateful for any input to help me solve my dilemma. I am off to Lembeh in three weeks so must make a decision on a new camera this week.

I have two second hand S110 that are going fine still. However the buttons of the newest housing are now very stiff indeed. Last time I bought a new housing the camera died almost immediately, so I am thinking that now is the time to upgrade. We were in the Maldives recently and I was very impressed with the macro results that fellow divers were getting with TG5s. However I wonder if this would be a step backwards in imagine quality compared with the S110, which I absolutely love. Also I have got manual WB on the S110 down to a fine art and love the results. Apparently the newer canons I.e. g7x mark 2 have a more complicated WB and may not be as good for macro. I do realise that the 20 megapixel power of the g7x is likely to be fabulous , so would get this but for the WB. One option would be to get a new housing for the s110 and hope for the best.

Does anybody have any suggestions , comments or observations on the above ? I love macro , but we are also going to a komodo and Alor this year.

Very many thanks in advance.

Stock Canon housing? Lousy buttons. You could try getting a tiny micro-swab and apply silicone to the shafts.
Better would be to take them out, carefully, tiny parts, but it's not too bad. You may only NEED to do that to a few buttons you use a lot. Clean in vinegar, re-lube and assemble.

Having said that I've been pretty impressed with the results people are getting from the TG5. No personal experience.

Many thanks

I think you'd do fine with the G7xMKII with the addition of a couple of macro diopters. There's lots of different housings. The TG-5 is a great macro/close up camera, but you may miss the control and modes you've had with the s110. The other option is the G9XII which is the successor to the s110/s120 series. It's quite well-rated. It has only touch controls but with the Fantasea Line G9XII housing there's pretty good support of most camera functions.

Many
I think you'd do fine with the G7xMKII with the addition of a couple of macro diopters. There's lots of different housings. The TG-5 is a great macro/close up camera, but you may miss the control and modes you've had with the s110. The other option is the G9XII which is the successor to the s110/s120 series. It's quite well-rated. It has only touch controls but with the Fantasea Line G9XII housing there's pretty good support of most camera functions.
thanks !

Back
Top Bottom