Thailand Gap Internships --Anyone Know These Guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have actually met the people running it and they are people I personally would trust. I am not familiar with their gap program per se (1 American, and 2, too old), but I recently did the video training at Oceans Below and can recommend them without any reservations.

Start with the diving - Darius is an IDC course director meaning he teaches people to become diving instructors. He has a lot of experience on Koh Tao and the dive schools that he works with are good.

Video training - mentioned it above - very professional, organized owners with a well-developed program. Highly recommended.

Muay Thai boxing - I was also at this training facility - they do a lot of regular training - I personally did a few training sessions with them as well and have no reservations about the training there.

Apnea free-diving - although I do not have experience with them, I had met some of the people involved and the school also seemed to have a very good reputation among the local dive schools.

It would seem that the other people responding did not actually know the organization and are not even from Koh Tao, so take the feedback with a grain of salt.

And your friend should do the practical thing and call the people, talk with them, and ask all the normal questions. Given the post is 4 weeks ago, he may well have already done exactly that! The most important things are that he feels comfortable with them.

Good luck to your friend.

Tom
tom@lansford.eu

Sorry everyone - new to the scubaboard and did not see much of the thread discussion the first time before posting.

Tom

I have actually met the people running it and they are people I personally would trust. I am not familiar with their gap program per se (1 American, and 2, too old), but I recently did the video training at Oceans Below and can recommend them without any reservations.

Start with the diving - Darius is an IDC course director meaning he teaches people to become diving instructors. He has a lot of experience on Koh Tao and the dive schools that he works with are good.

Video training - mentioned it above - very professional, organized owners with a well-developed program. Highly recommended.

Muay Thai boxing - I was also at this training facility - they do a lot of regular training - I personally did a few training sessions with them as well and have no reservations about the training there.

Apnea free-diving - although I do not have experience with them, I had met some of the people involved and the school also seemed to have a very good reputation among the local dive schools.

It would seem that the other people responding did not actually know the organization and are not even from Koh Tao, so take the feedback with a grain of salt.

And your friend should do the practical thing and call the people, talk with them, and ask all the normal questions. Given the post is 4 weeks ago, he may well have already done exactly that! The most important things are that he feels comfortable with them.

Good luck to your friend.

Tom
tom@lansford.eu

Tom,

Thanks for the information --it reflects a lot of what I have already learned. I've also gotten a chance to correspond with Darius and I my impression of the entire opreation is very positive, which I've passed along to my friends.

Jeff

"From the website, they look reputable but my friend's son is interested and wants more information on their reputation."

Look reputable yes but I see no mention of any financial protection, or adherence to package travel regulations or even them being a legitimate company. I note that the company is run by an American and UK national,so I doubt they are even operating legally under Thai laws as there is no mention of Thai ownership. Than means if they go bust or get booted out of Thailand for running a dodgy operation then your money goes with them.

I wouldn't take the risk and just book direct.

"From the website, they look reputable but my friend's son is interested and wants more information on their reputation."

Look reputable yes but I see no mention of any financial protection, or adherence to package travel regulations or even them being a legitimate company. I note that the company is run by an American and UK national,so I doubt they are even operating legally under Thai laws as there is no mention of Thai ownership. Than means if they go bust or get booted out of Thailand for running a dodgy operation then your money goes with them.

I wouldn't take the risk and just book direct.

Okay, first off, if you had read all the way through the post, you would have seen that I have been in personal contact with Darius, one of the principals in Thailand Gap Internships and the company is not only on the up and up, it has a great reputation. I've also had many private messages from people personally vouching for this company, from people I trust.

This is your first post, and as a piece of friendly advice, you might want to refrain from wild speculation and question people's integrity, at least until everyone here gets to know you.

Jeff

If there is a mod for this section, can we close this thread, please?

JT

Foreigners can run businesses in Thailand legitimately if they go about it in the correct manner, ie obtaining the correct visas and permits and adhere to Thai laws.
Many businesses in Thailand are in foreign ownership and are run very well, but yes you are right to check their credentials as there are also that element of dodgy businesses and individuals in Thailand, indeed just as there is in any country around the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom