Thailand Gap Internships --Anyone Know These Guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A better place to do an internship would be Phi Phi, where the diving is better, and generally they have a higher standard. Which is why the courses are more expensive - an Open Water Course is 13800 thai baht. At this price operators can afford to have well maintained equipment, boats and run courses in smaller groups.

That is a very poorly informed reply.

On Tao, intense inter-school competition has led to repeated price lowering. This is great for customers.

To imply that the schools on Tao have badly maintained equipment, boats and big courses is disgraceful.

Obviously, the quality of schools vary anywhere in the world - some are excellent, others terrible. This is true of east or west coast Thailand or anywhere else.

If the schools on Tao were so bad...then why do they feature so highly in the national PADI awards? Crystal Dive, Buddha View and Bans have both been awarded as IDC centers and as Dive Centers.

The dive center I used to work at had maximum groups of 4...and was run by a very professional instructor (IDC Staff) who was also a fully qualified Dive Medic Technician and regulator/compressor service technician. There was a lot of expertise and professionalism there...and it was as good as any center I worked or dived at anywhere in Asia.

Another center I worked at...partnered the most prestigious and successful technical diving liveaboard in Asia (MV Trident). They had cheap rates for recreational diving also........

go figure.....

well stated! There are many options. Supply and demand plays a big part.

how strange. I just read through the page to try and figure out what shop they were connected to, and...

I read this:
"Thanks to Darius, Mark, Wilco and Gannon for all the hard work you put in to get this motley crew through Koh Tao's most demanding IDC and IE!"

Apparently they know me.

Just take care what you let yourself in for, many outfits look professional from their websites, it's called good marketing.
But in my experience the reality of the situation is all to often anything but professional.
Also a number of individuals that use this forum are involved in the diving industry and at times turn a discussion forum into a sales pitch.

So, according to your logic, anywhere in Thailand where the OW course is more expensive than 13.800,-THB they even have higher standards and better equipment.

May I invite the OP to Koh Samui please.

Quite right limbo.
I have seen shops in thailand charging more than that, and standards in some cases leave a lot to be desired.
Much better in my mind to judge on performance/recomendations than to judge on prices alone.

From the website, they look reputable but my friend's son is interested and wants more information on their reputation

Well, after doing a little more snooping, I know exactly who it is, and I can speak from first hand about their reputation and professionalism. I've worked with and know one of the two organizers on multiple occasions. If you want to PM me, I would be happy to give you specific information about them and the island in general. I've been to Tao numerous times since 2003, and I've called it home since May 2007.

I do have to say that I find it strange that so many people have written in with a sort of non-advice advice. Lots of strong opinions but not many specifics regarding the actual company you were inquiring about.

Also, Simple Life may be affiliated with the company, but it is not the only IDC center on Tao and it is not the main IDC center that (at least one of) the organizers of the website works with on a regular basis. In fact, the IDC that I worked on which is referenced on the site was not conducted through Simple Life.

Anyway, before people write off TGI as some sort of too good to be true cowboy operation, it might be of more use to ask around less opinionated and more informed circles.

Good hunting and let me know if you're still curious.

Why all this secrecy and speculation? Send KT Darius a PM and he will be able to help you. To my knowledge he is involved with the site and on SB at least every couple of years...

No secrecy at all --I've spoken been in contact with Darius and he's impressive. I am merely trying to help a friend get legitimate feedback on Thailand GAP Internship. As has been mentioned, most of the posts here have not really been terribly helpful but some as well as private messages I have received.

Thanks to all who have posted.

Jeff

Why all this secrecy and speculation?.

Yup. I second that. No secrecy intended, it's just that sometimes when I see a shop named on this forum the thread gets derailed.

I figure if the OP was really interested, he would PM me and I could avoid the peanut gallery showering me with spent shells.

Hey bgrindgerg, if you wanna talk about this more, PM me....

I kid I kid!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom