Thailand Gap Internships --Anyone Know These Guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Toorish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There's many different companies trying to offer "internships" but there are very few that have it right. Aquanauts Dive Career Development Centre has been doing full instructor training since 2001 and has a program that is hard to beat and certainly a better value than the one you linked to.

We actually offer two packages: our full-featured, all-inclusive Aquanauts Compelte internship which offers 9 more courses than the the Gap Year packaged you assked about, air-conditioned accommodations, not a fan room as in the above, more name brand equipment and the best job placement system in the industry.

For those on a budget, we also offer the Aquanauts Value internship which provides the same and quality of trainng that has lead to Aquanauts having a 100% PADI Instructor Exam pass rate since June 2007 but at a price that is almost $4,000 less than the package you linked to above.

Don't make internshp choices hastilty. And don't make any decision until you check out the link below.

Jeff, your friend's son needs to understand that this company is an agency selling the services of some unnamed school(s) on Koh Tao. As such, the buyer is not in a position to select the school himself. A much better solution would be to write to dive ops around Thailand (on Tao and elsewhere) to find out about programmes and costs. Your friend could learn about the features of each programme and compare, both in terms of costs and services offered.

A much better solution would be to write to dive ops around Thailand (on Tao and elsewhere) to find out about programmes and costs. Your friend could learn about the features of each programme and compare, both in terms of costs and services offered.

I agree with Quero.
Directly contacting dive ops and comparing programmes and prices is the best way to go.

There's many different companies trying to offer "internships" but there are very few that have it right. Aquanauts Dive Career Development Centre has been doing full instructor training since 2001 and has a program that is hard to beat and certainly a better value than the one you linked to.

We actually offer two packages: our full-featured, all-inclusive Aquanauts Compelte internship which offers 9 more courses than the the Gap Year packaged you assked about, air-conditioned accommodations, not a fan room as in the above, more name brand equipment and the best job placement system in the industry.

For those on a budget, we also offer the Aquanauts Value internship which provides the same and quality of trainng that has lead to Aquanauts having a 100% PADI Instructor Exam pass rate since June 2007 but at a price that is almost $4,000 less than the package you linked to above.

Don't make internshp choices hastilty. And don't make any decision until you check out the link below.

I was wondering where in the original post did you see a question about your shop?

agree with bowmouth and quero.

find out exactly who you may be dealing with rather than an agent who will also pocket a fair amount for selling the service.

i'm sure the company is sound BUT they look like they are packaging and reselling dive products from a range of dive schools on koh tao. this would explain why the prices are so high.

i would advise your friend's son to get on google and do some more research. have a look at a few places he would like to go but NOT book anything. then go and check out these places and dive centres, maybe do a bit of fun diving or do an open water course and see how it goes.

in my mind there is no reason to book these large pre-paid packages. of course dive schools prefer if uou do because it is good for cash flow AND it puts them in control of the money. of course discounts can arise from doing multi-course bookings but i wouldn't worry too much about that there are plenty of hefty discounts around in Thailand, especially on Koh Tao.

on that note i have heard of some ridiculously priced OW courses on K Tao. without pointing a finger at any dive school in particular, this island is slowly moving from having a reputation as a dive factory to one of being a disgrace for diving in Thailand. any k tao operators who might read this, i'm not particularly interested in defensive reactions. there ARE still highly reputable operators on the island but in other parts of asia, Koh Tao is synonomous with low quality diving.

this has become startling evident as i travel my low season through southern asia talking to other dive professionals along the way.

A better place to do an internship would be Phi Phi, where the diving is better, and generally they have a higher standard. Which is why the courses are more expensive - an Open Water Course is 13800 thai baht. At this price operators can afford to have well maintained equipment, boats and run courses in smaller groups.

So, according to your logic, anywhere in Thailand where the OW course is more expensive than 13.800,-THB they even have higher standards and better equipment.

May I invite the OP to Koh Samui please.

They seem (from their website) to be affiliated with 'Simple Life' dive resort. If they are a middle-man booking agency, then they must be extracting some profit from it.

If you like this resort, then why not just book your package directly.

I posted a detailed reply already onto a current running threadabout dive operations in Koh Tao..... there are many and the best prices can be negotiated in person on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom