Thailand in Aug. Where to dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MGW1979

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning on spending a month (or more) in Thailand and want to spend the majority of my time diving. I've never been so I'm looking for some advice on where to go. I'm thining about doing a DM but I don't know. I'd like somewhere with good diving and amazing beaches. Any suggestions for where I go?
Thanks in advance!

Isn't it monsoon time? Winds? Not a good time for places like Similans?

DontLieToMe:

The monsoon winds will not prevent a diver from doing DM training on Phuket (which, even if it were high season, wouldn't be done on a liveaboard at the Similans in any case). If the main focus of spending a month in Thailand is on DM training/practical application, Phuket is the top choice, all year round.

If the main focus of spending the month of August in Thailand is doing fun dives, then I would recommend skipping around--some time in Phuket, some time at one of the islands further south, such as Koh Lanta, and perhaps some time at one of the islands in the Gulf (where August is high season).

DontLieToMe:

It's a great time of year to spend days in a row on the East side of Similan # 8 and dive Beacon Beach over and over and over again.:D

What about Koh Tao? How do Phuket and Koh Tao compare?

MGW1979:
What about Koh Tao? How do Phuket and Koh Tao compare?

You can not compare Phuket with Ko Tao; they are just way too different to compare.
It's like comparing steaming hot curry with a cheese sandwich; it just doesn't work...:D

a average days diving phuket normally beats a good day at tao

A month is a good time frame to do a DM, and Phuket is a good place to do it (that's where I did mine). The limitation is that August is a low season, so will you have enough students and classes scheduled to complete your requirements? Be sure to check with your prospective dive shop to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom